• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how can i teach myself shotokan karate

ryu1

I learned Shotokan from an instructor, but i use the following book for reference alot and i think it would be a good one for you...

"The Shotokan Karate Handbook: Beginner to Black Belt", by Gursharan Sahota

here is a link to it at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0952463806/qid=1049491523/sr=1-14/ref=sr_1_14/002-7900390-5124055?v=glance&s=books

Also, if you want I would be happy to go over what you would need to know and learn by email or telephone if you want. And, we could even set up something where I could maybe rank you for your belts. I wouldn't charge anything (except maybe postage and stuff). Just let me know. You can email me at...

larryicr@yahoo.com

Good luck.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off :kaioken: i have never been bullied i ain't weak i am a true fighter dedicated to martial arts i don't want to go to a dojo cause one teacher charged me 400 a month and :evil: i ain't got no job yet but i have taught myself techniques and karate cause i studied them before i did them.you don't go into something you have no idea about.i wanted to do it on my own without having to pay a car note for karate lessons.not trying to be mean to anybody.

tell em' ryu! i support you one hundred percent and am a strong advocate of self training.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I personally wouldn't recommend training exclusively from a book, but I guess you have to do what you have to do; if that was the only way I could train I guess I'd try to get videos and books. I also ran across a place that did "correspondence" teaching, and you sent videos back and forth...I guess it is better than nothing, and they can critique your moves too (it is hard to tell if you are doing things correctly when you can't see yourself and you don't know what to look for).

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• 2 months later...

It depends, if you are starting from cero....you better get an instructor, but if you are like 3dr 2nd kyu...i think you can train for yourselve then take the tests....

But that´s just me...

Just as it is the clear mirror that reflects without distortion, or the quiet valley that echoes a sound, so must one who would study Karate-do purge himself of selfish and evil thoughts, for only with a clear mind and conscience can he understand that which he receives

me personally i have self trained for 4 years and became pretty good until i herd about karate classes in town and i decided i would try it out so i did i didnt think much of it at first accually i thought it was useless wasnt any good but i just sticked with it. and know i wouldnt ever quit for anything i love karate (shotokan) theres nothing like it

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

No one can teach themselves. Book, Videos, web sites, etc are great but nothing is the same as having someone show you and work with you hands on. You need the discipline, respect, guidence that only being a student can provide.

Books, Videos, etc are aids to help train not a subistute for training.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."