• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how can i teach myself shotokan karate

ryu1

i really wanna learn this style.i know i am physically and mentally fit.but i don't wanna go to a dojo i have tought myself other types of karate but how can i learn this one.is their a book or website that can help me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotokan karate. You need a teacher to learn a specific art. If you want to verse yourself in the basics, books and videos will help. But if you desire to learn the depth of the art you will need a good teacher.

MA

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

i really wanna learn this style.i know i am physically and mentally fit.but i don't wanna go to a dojo i have tought myself other types of karate but how can i learn this one.is their a book or website that can help me.

I think you meant to say you've taught yourself some techniques from another styles of Karate (which?) not the whole stuff. It would take you MANY years to master them. You see, Karate is not like knitting or riding a bike, you never stop learning the stuff. There are so many things to have in mind and even when you know how to perform a technique you start learning to do it CORRECTLY, by the book.

Go to a dojo. What's with everybody? Why are you affraid to go near other human beings? Karate should be learnt from a QUALIFFIED INSTRUCTOR. It's dangerous, hard, complex, you name it.

Good luck and join a dojo or study with a private teacher. :karate:

I think you meant to say you've taught yourself some techniques from another styles of Karate (which?) not the whole stuff. It would take you MANY years to master them. You see, Karate is not like knitting or riding a bike, you never stop learning the stuff. There are so many things to have in mind and even when you know how to perform a technique you start learning to do it CORRECTLY, by the book.

Go to a dojo. What's with everybody? Why are you affraid to go near other human beings? Karate should be learnt from a QUALIFFIED INSTRUCTOR. It's dangerous, hard, complex, you name it.

Good luck and join a dojo or study with a private teacher. :karate:

I could actually see not wanting to go to a dojo for fear of ridicule. A lot of the people who join MA are probably the ones that have been bullied around and haven't had a good social expirience.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

ryu, i AM teaching myself shotokan karate. i suggest buying the book 'Complete Shotokan Karate by Robin...something something, cant remeber the last name. also try this website: https://www.shotokanforeveryone.com

it has lots of technique instruction and free videos of all the required kata. keep in touch with me! we obviously have a lot in common.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

oh yea, i forgot, i would find someone who is qualified to test you for belts and correct your mistakes, also, if you dont already have one, buy a gi! there useful, comforble and if for no other reason, they look really cool!

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Its best to learn to do it properly from someone as you cant learn it entirely from a book.

Most arts are full of little tricks that only get passed from instructor to student and do not appear in books.

Karate has many techniques but you will only get what are considered basics from a book.

It is impossible to ever become good at karate from learning from books. The photos for techniques show only a timeframe from a technique, or at best a series of timeframes, they do not show a technique.

An instructor is looking for many things, your overall movement, the path the technique takes, your focus, aggression, aim, and much much more besides.

Books about learning martial arts do one thing only, make money for the authors. You really cant beat finding a good dojo where you wont feel intimiated and can learn what the art is really about.