• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sports Karate

Anzie

I posted a little something about my form of karate a bit earlier, but I thought I'd put another view on it.

Sports Karate is karate training for kumite only. No katas and equal.

Is this as effective as "ordinary" karate on the street for instance?

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i honestly am kinda stroke two ways on this issue, i guess becuase i have yet to, and hopefully never will, had to use my karate on the streets. I practice for sport reasons though to, but i have to say, why cut out the kata? in my opinion its alot of fun, it keeps you in shape, and helps smooth the edges in your techniques. BTW, ever noticed how immpossible it is to understand the techniques your performing when there done in kiba dachi?

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

When I asked my Sensei, what the "point" of karate was, he said to get rid of the person, then he brought up sport karate and this is how he described it:

"Sport karate is nothing like real karate, in sport karate you go strictly for hits"

He then went on with a demonstration of him punching me in the arm lightly

"Point"

He then kicked me lightly

"Point, hey guys look i got a point"

If this made no sense forget about it :D Anyways, my point is, the two are totally different.. karate is ment as a form of self defense against people who have no knowledge, and getting rid of them in any way possible least this is what i understand it as :x In sport karate, you are trying to hit the person as much as you can.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

I am a 1st dan and have been training for nearly five years and I am yet to do a kumite competition. However a chance has arrisen for me to take in a kumite and kata competition. At my dojo we fight but it is boxing with karate kicks and manouvers. Can anyone tell me the basics and any tips for a kumite comp.

Re: basics for a kumite competition.

I'd check the rules if I were you. Competition at the black belt level ranges from no contact to full contact. Some have sweeps, too. Most often at that level I've seen moderate contact to the body, and light contact to the face. From the sounds of things, you may be doing that type of sparring already. If not, then obviously you'd have to make the changes in your practice so that you would be using appropriate contact (you don't want to be disqualified for hitting too hard, or alternatively, unable to take a hit at the level you need to), and that you have the appropriate equipment.

Good luck! :)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

The only problem that i can see with sport karate is that it trains you to hit at non-vital targets. In a real situation one of the most important things is targeting. So, if you are doing sports karate i would suggest you also take time to train on targeting certain areas of an attacker (ie: knee, groin, etc.)