• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate vs. TKD style sidekick

nathanjusko, I have never seen a TKD sidekick before with the knee facing down. Matter 'a fact, I have never seen any kick properly executed with the knee facing down. That would mean your toes would also have to be pointing to the ground. I don't see how that could work, unless maybe you're kicking straight behind you? Help, I'm confused.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In American Kenpo, we generally keep our side kicks low and our posture upright. We do two kinds- thrusting side kicks where the base foot pivots the heel toward the target, and snaping where the base foot doesn't pivot. Both chamber, strike, rechamber, then plant. But neither have to be chambered high unless you are going for a high target. Both get your hip into the kick, thrusting much more. Snaping is for speed, thrusting is for power and distance. Both are extremely effective.

I've found the higher TKD style kicks to be easier to trap or sweep. And in a fight, where knee shots are 'legal', you'd be too open to major injury. On the other hand, the TKD practitioners I've fought don't usually throw the technically perfect kicks in sparing. I've eaten more than one kick, so I don't underestimate them.

Freedom isn't free!