• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate vs. TKD style sidekick

IMO and experience...TKD side kick is much easier on the knees than Karate side kick,

It definately is, I actually damaged my knees because of the way we practiced side kicks in the karate class I was in. They still aren't the same.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TKD is primarily a kicking style and has the most effective kicking methods around

Thats a pretty big statment, I dont know how you could justify TKD having more effective kicks than say Muay Thai. and thats just one example.

TKD kicks are for speed and snap they are deffinetly not as powerful or effective as say ,a Thai Stlye roundhouse.

I agree Sai ;)

Anyways, I have done a bit of Thai boxing, and I do TKD. Yes, I love the Thai roundhouse. beautiful powerful kick. BUT TKD (at least the Moo Duk Kwan TKD) does teach power in the kicks. Yes, it takes practice, but it can be as powerful as the Thai kicks, if done right. The Korean kicks in general do teach you to use "hip power."

With the side kick. I do lean back a little when kicking high (well, I try to. My side kicks are low LOL). I try to focus more on turning my hip over than the leaning thing (for power).

And yes. I found that the TKD kicks are easier on the knees. I have to agree there.

Laurie F

Funny i've never thought of sidekicks on "hard on the knees" maybe its just me.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

-Albert Einstien

hmm hyperentending is the mistake of the practitioner, as karate doesnt advocate this.

The way the sensei was teaching the kick lead to hyper extending the knees. If it was just, say, one or two people I'd completely agree that it's the practitioner. However, a good third of the club had knee problems as a result.

That particular sensei didn't know how to teach, it something needed to be corrected he'd just say "More spirit!"

The TKD style uses the "lean" because as people have mentioned you can kick higher, and you utilize the hips more. But what no one has mentioned is that in leaning you also utilize action/reaction physics. When you punch you draw the opposite arm to your waist. It's the same with the TKD sidekick, but since you can't draw the other leg back, you draw the whole body back. This, combined with the hip chamber is what makes it so powerful.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

I have a bit of a background in this field because I was forced to change TKD schools (my family moved), my original school taught the side kick with your knee facing down when you kick and my current school teaches with your knee to the side (more of the karate style). I would choose the karate style any day. FIRST-you don't lose sight of your target as easily SECOND-it is much faster to kick with your knee in the side chamber, THIRD-it is an ambigous chamber, i could easily go to a roundhouse, hook kick, or any combination with the same chamber and FOURTH-it is a much faster chamber and can be used as a means to get out of a close combat situation (meaning you stick your leg out not to kick but rather to push the opponent away) Hope I helped a bit.

Nathan Jusko

ITF TaeKwonDo 1st Dan Blackbelt