• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate vs. TKD style sidekick

When i took Karate i was taught to keep my body straight for a sidekick. Now in TKD im (trying) to be taught to bend my body down beacause it "protects the head and lets you kick higher" i can already kick high enough with a straight body as is though. Which technique is better?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

-Albert Einstien

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know what is better but i would say to choose the one you are more comfortable with. if you choose the strait one, guard your head with your arms.

i have been taught to bend and it helps with my balence but that might just be me

"Do what your heart tells you, so you won't regret it later. That's the right path... for people who live life in the present."

When i took Karate i was taught to keep my body straight for a sidekick. Now in TKD im (trying) to be taught to bend my body down beacause it "protects the head and lets you kick higher" i can already kick high enough with a straight body as is though. Which technique is better?

Since I have been warned I will not belittle. The TKD sidekick is usally "chambered" or it is pulled across the body before it is extended. The problem is that this is very visable and lends to it being intercepted. The leaning back thing seems to be a little odd. Being on one foot is an unstable position to start with, why make it worse by leaning? Also it makes you suseptible to sweeps and kicks to the groin.

As a karate and TKD stylist I can elaborate a bit.

The TKD sidekick is MUCH more powerful than a karate sidekick. In TKD you roll your hip over and lean backwards a bit. This extends your body and your leg about an extra 2 feet in distance. Also, by rolling your hips over it generates a lot more power. When done properly your kicking heel should make a straight line from your heel to your kicking side hip to the standing legs hip to your shoulders etc. This locks your body and makes an extremely powerful kick. In a karate sidekick you simply chamber your leg and throw it out. Nothing is mentioned about turning your body. This kick gets its power from the kicking leg only. I would much rather prefer to have my entire body involved.

Pete

ps. TKD is primarily a kicking style and has the most effective kicking methods around. Therefore the kicking techniques used in TKD have had much more attention to detail.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

IMO and experience...TKD side kick is much easier on the knees than Karate side kick, and can provide more power if done properly.In case of sparring, the chamber can be done fast enough (with enough practice) so as not to telegraph it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

TKD is primarily a kicking style and has the most effective kicking methods around

Thats a pretty big statment, I dont know how you could justify TKD having more effective kicks than say Muay Thai. and thats just one example.

TKD kicks are for speed and snap they are deffinetly not as powerful or effective as say ,a Thai Stlye roundhouse.

Edited by TJS

In all honesty, it depends on your goal. If you're looking for a fast kick, power kick, etc. While I don't agree with leaning over by any means, if you cause the damage and don't get hurt yourself, the technique can't be all bad. :wink:

For the record, my sparring coach is a 7th dan in TKD, and he does not advocate leaning back.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."