• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone have a style recommendation?

im a kung fu kinda guy so i say shaolin but i was wondering if it said what type of shaolin it is.

also what counts is if you like hard or soft in general(this doesn't speak for all but most) tae kwon do, Karate, (Kempo, aikido, judo, jujutsu)<--not sure about those) are hard styles. Shaolin is a form of kung fu as is tai chi witch are soft syles. (taiji, kenji)<--never heard of them. the good thing about tai chi is u can take another style while doing it and not get messed up.

well if u have any questions jest post them and i(or im sure someone else) will try to answer them

Fighting out of hate brings only disgrace.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Rose,

Of the styles you listed as being interested in, I'd say Jujutsu.

Of the ones you listed in a 10 mi. radius, I'd advise looking closely at the Kempo and Tai Chi (Taiji) schools.

I have to qualify this advice by saying that the quality of instruction is more important than the style. Also, I based my advice on your statements that you aren't sure what you want from the martial arts, and that you want a style that will hold its' own with other styles. The ones I recomended are generally well rounded and effective. But again, check out the school as well as the style.

Tai Chi takes a lot longer to learn, and must be taught as a martial art and not just a health and exercise class. In fact, they say it takes about 10 years to get good enough to use it effectively in a fight. But a good TCC practitioner will more than hold his own with any body.

Jujitsu has allways been known for its' effectiveness, and is well rounded. It emphasises locks, throws, and grappling.

Kempo/Kenpo. There are several styles of kenpo from China, Japan, Okinawa, and America. All have their roots in Chinese Kenpo (actually Chuan Fa, which is more of a generic term for martial arts). Most are extremely effective at all ranges of stand up fighting. Many schools also incorporate small circle aiki (joint manipulation) and grappling.

Freedom isn't free!

i've got my list down to four.

-aikido

-jujutsu

-kempo

-shaolin

can anyone tell me how long each style must be studied to be "effective"

i dont care weather you tell me in years or relative to each other

MantisWarrior-what exactly do you mean by hard and soft.

Edited by BlackRose

"Do what your heart tells you, so you won't regret it later. That's the right path... for people who live life in the present."

I don't exactly know what he means by hard and soft, but out of the list u gave, i'd go with the "martial arts" one. All of the other options are horrible, so how bad can the wild card option be. seriously, think about it. just do what ever that school offers when u find out.

if aikido is from Jujitsu, what are the differences. what you you think is better to take and why?

"Do what your heart tells you, so you won't regret it later. That's the right path... for people who live life in the present."

if aikido is from Jujitsu, what are the differences. what you you think is better to take and why?

Jujutsu is more "combat oriented", which basically means the locks, throws, strikes, etc are all supposed to lead to a the opponent not getting up again. Very much into the quick finish approach to a fight. Everything is covered, which means weapons, locks, throws, and strikes. Some schools have an internal art focus, but most don't. Usually looked at as having good results quickly.

Aikido is heavier into the spiritual end of martial arts and tends to lack strikes and a "combat" focus. Although, there are schools that make up for this. Weapons are taught and so are throws, locks, and ki development. It's usually seen as taking a lot longer to become "effective", but it's well worth it.

As to which one is better, they're both equally good but it depends on what you personally want.

TheSod_88- Explain why "All of the other options are horrible", please.

from your list i'd say judo or jujutsu if the school is any good. These arts seem to have better quality control which is more than I can say for a lot of cma.

i am deciding jujutsu or shoalin. i like jujutsu better but like shoalin as well. do you think i can do both or is it to early? if i can, do these two styles go together ok. i kinda want them to fill in for the other.

also what should i look for and what should i ask when looking for a school.

Why don't you watch and/or do a class of each.

I'd prefer kung fu in most cases of over jujutsu. I went to a tournament once and watched the Jujutsu guys and thought it was a joke. It could very well have just been a bad school, but it left me with a bad impression of the art.

So, anyway, check out the classes first, try and make sure it's not a bad teacher. A bad school in any art will lose to a better school of another art.

It's not really the martial art, it is how well you were taught, how well you can learn, and how you can apply the art that makes you a good martial artist or fighter.

Visit Shaolin, Chinese Martial Arts

- I don't fear the 10,000 techniques you've practised once, I fear the one technique you've practiced 10,000 times. -