• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Width of Shiko Dachi ? (Japanese Goju Ryu)

hobz

My Sensei told me my feet wern't wide enough when I was doing shiko dachi, and they were shoulder width apart. I believe him entirely cause it's supposed to be uncomfortable, but it wasn't for me. But Im lost to how wide the stance should be ?

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say about double shoulder width? Of course keeping in mind there isn't anybody doing it in front of me right now to judge from, I think when you drop all the way into it your lower legs should be close to perpendicular with the floor, maybe not quite but close.

In my style, there are no stances that are more than one and 1/2 shoulders width apart. Low stances are cool looking and help strengthen your legs, but that's why all the old timer shuri-ryu guys are getting hip and knee replacement surgeries now.

Didnt say that i didn't believe him, more or less that i was lost as to what i was doing wrong stencil :)

How far apart are your feet in zenkutsu dachi? Get into a good zenkutsu then pivot around into shiko dachi. That is a good place to start from.

There is a practice drill that works well on a tile floor, (the 12 inch tile kind),. Get into zenkutsu dachi then pivot into shiko dachi, kokutsu dachi and kiba dachi. By pivoting on either your heels or the ball of your feet you should be able to hit all those stances.

Just started :) Don't know any of those stances except for shiko dachi, oh and stencil, you mean perpendicular with my legs ? Also anywhere I can go to learn those stances? or should I just wait for my sensei to teach them to me.