• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the best way to deal with idiots in training?

Ok just last night I went back to JJ after a week off because I was sick. I told the guy I was partnered with that I had never actually done the throw we were doing before because I wasn't there last week and asked him if we could go through it slowly. So we start going through it and and he says "If you try that again i'm going to break your arm" and this point I have no idea what he is talking about as i'm bent over with my arm twisted behind my back. What worried me about this is that people can easily break your arm from the position I was in and unlike the instructor I have no trust that this guy will not actually do it.

Luckily nothing came of that but for the rest of the night he kept trying to hit pressure points and kick me after i'd thrown him. Neither of which we have yet done in class (I'm doing an introductory course). Needless to say this was very annoying and I hope i'm never with him again. The problem is however it's not always easy to choose who your partner will be, so I was wondering what people think is the best way to deal with poeple like this.

On another note I was wondering what level most people's instructors are. The guy that takes our introductory course is 8th dan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tell the instructor that the guy is nut and you don't wish to be partnered with him again. Your instructor can then keep an eye on the guy and make sure you don't have to partner up with him again. I've had something similar happen in my class and made sure that the guy didn't have to train with the offending person.

Oh, and I wouldn't get too hung up on instructors grades. Unfortunately these days grades just seem to be given out - not saying that's the case with your instructor, but it does happen.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Thats a good idea though it kinda feels weird saying something like that , its as though your not tough enough or something. As to the instructor Ithink hes been doing it for about 25 - 30 yrs and hes the highest ranked person alive in our style now (the founder and 10th dan died in 1990) so he gets graded in Japan by 7th - 10th dan people in other JJ styles. This may be wrong cos he didn't explain it fully but i think its right.

I know it would be weird, but if the instructor cares about his students then he will want to know who the nutjobs are so he can keep an eye on him.

I would probably wait awhile first though. Maybe the guy was having a bad day and is normally okay, or maybe you broke some etiquette that you didn't know about. If it continually happens though, definately speak to the instructor.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

The instant he said that I would have tapped out, stood up and asked what he meant, explaining that I didn't know what the heck I'd done wrong. It's hard to imagine any human adult responding with anything other than "Oh gosh, I'm sorry, here's what I thought you were trying to do....." Maybe you moved in some way that made him think you tried to jam an elbow into his groin for fun or something like that. A dumb assumption for him to make, sure, but obviously there was some misunderstanding that should be cleared up if you have to train with him again. Especially since you're the new guy in the situation, I'd absolutely try to clear things up with him directly before you even consider going to instructor about it.

There are a lot to jerks out there, so be careful. Unless you are in it for sporting competition you are learning to protect your self. Not get hurt training. After sparring with people that don't understand control a few times I won't work with anyone I don't trust.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

I just talked to a friend of mine in the class and he sprained his ankle really badly a couple of weeks ago. It turns out it was the same guy stuffing up his throw. Luckily my friends coming back to training this week so we are just going to practice together.

It's good your friends will be back. Chose very cautiously your partner and try to talk to the instructor. It's not OK what happened there.

Bad temper and personal problems should be left at the door. That's what I always do, because the person I'm working with is not responsible for me having a bad day :)

when doing throws I only work with certain persons. Few days ago I almost sprained my wrist and now I'm very attentive when it comes to letting someone fly me on the tatami :D