• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why some MA people get beat in real fights

4. people get used to fighting people from the same style they train in

3. unrealistic training, in some cases.

2. Not knowing how to deal with being hit hard - people tend to forget their training when they get hit hard, if they don't know how to deal with it. That's why contact sparring is such a valuable tool.

1. mindset. Do you have the same mindset of the guy who is thinking of nothing other than robbing and killing you? Can you manifest the agression that someone in that state has? If not, you may be in trouble. IMO, mindset is one of the biggest factors in the outcome of a fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have that fighting spirit, your in for it, I get angrier when I get hit, controlled anger of course, some people freak out when they get hit. If you train hard, you will do well, don't let fear take it's hold. If your style doesn't account for unothrodox fighters, go to another school that does.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

because they don't have street experience. If they have plenty of, I'm pretty sure they will kick ass.

And how is one supposed to gain this experience? Is it not possible to be able to "win" a fight on the street if you don't do those kind of fights often?

I think once you turn black belt and keep on learning and training whether its the same style or another style, then you can start to teach anyone who wants to learn. i plan to never stop learning and training in martial arts, cos once i've finished one style i would move on to another or even maybe cross train if i have loads of time.

You said that some martial artists still get beat in real fights is simply because they haven' t been trained properly by their instructor. if martial artist train properly and execute every technique using the correct method then the techniques will work effectively and successfully defeating the opponents in real fights.

Some say that one martial art style can be better than another, but i think it really depends on the martial artist. The harder and properly they train and practice the better they become and the more effective the techniques would be.

"people get used to fighting people from the same style they train in"

i think if martial artists fight other martial artist in the style they train in then they will get used to it, but if martial aritsts fight each other with different styles then they would have to adapt to the situation or use their style to their personal best, to see which style is better out of the two martial artists.

because they don't have street experience. If they have plenty of, I'm pretty sure they will kick ass.

And how is one supposed to gain this experience? Is it not possible to be able to "win" a fight on the street if you don't do those kind of fights often?

hmm... I think my statement is too strict. :dead:

Experience from any fight that can simulate the street fight well should be sufficient for martial artists to win a fight. But again, that also depends on who the opponent is. If the guy is some monster like Mike Tyson there is still a big chance the martial artist will get beat in street. :D

You said that some martial artists still get beat in real fights is simply because they haven' t been trained properly by their instructor. if martial artist train properly and execute every technique using the correct method then the techniques will work effectively and successfully defeating the opponents in real fights.

I personally think even if we can execute techniques well enough, they are just "tools" to us. How to defeat the opponent using these tools is completely up to us.

I read some of these posts with a certain amount of chagrin. I would hope that no one on this forum is out there "looking" for fights. Having said that, the only way to tell if you will be successful in an encounter is to have the encounter. If you have lived your entire life without confrontation I would gladly bow to you!

A major point many of the posts so far lack is mention of knowing when to fight. Would you fight if someone insults you? How about if a person with a knife or gun wants your wallet, etc... but shows no sign of wishing to injure you? For me, the only times I have resorted to violence have been times when my life, or the life of someone else was in true danger. I gave up my wallet, satchel, etc.. a few times when I lived in Baltimore. My life or the aggressor's life are woth more than the cost of replacing a few material objects. I fought when confronted by individuals who meant me, or those I was with harm. I consider these occaisions failures, however, because I did not take appropriate steps to avoid these encounters. I could have walked down a different street, shushed noisy friends, etc... Any fight is a betrayal of why we train.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!