• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why some MA people get beat in real fights

fungku - your confidence may get you in trouble...

everyone gets caught once in a while - and if the person who catches you is a trained fighter you are in a lot of trouble...

I am with David Wells on this.

Try to diffuse the situation without fighting by any and all means ( i have walked away from many a guy calling my every name in the book trying to provoke a fight)... but if the guy won't let it go and won't let you walk away - why would you let them strike? why even give them the chance to "get lucky" and catch you with a strike?

Hit'em fast - hit hard and that will most likely be the end of it... no one likes to get hit.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fungku - your confidence may get you in trouble...

everyone gets caught once in a while - and if the person who catches you is a trained fighter you are in a lot of trouble...

I am with David Wells on this.

Try to diffuse the situation without fighting by any and all means ( i have walked away from many a guy calling my every name in the book trying to provoke a fight)...

I said I would try and diffuse it. I have failed if he turns violent.

If you hit first, anyone watching could say that you are the agressor.

If the person happens to be a trained fighter, then it may be a good fight.

If I happen to lose: I get my ass kicked, train harder, and next time I won't lose. There is nothing wrong with having confidence in yourself. I am not 'afraid' of losing, it will only help to motivate me further, and willlearn from my mistakes to make me an even better fighter.

but if the guy won't let it go and won't let you walk away - why would you let them strike? why even give them the chance to "get lucky" and catch you with a strike?

It's a slight risk I'm willing to take in case this ends up going to court. That one moment where you let him go first may be very helpful to you.

Like I said, he'll have one, so he better make it good (during my 0.5 seconds of being on the defensive).

Visit Shaolin, Chinese Martial Arts

- I don't fear the 10,000 techniques you've practised once, I fear the one technique you've practiced 10,000 times. -

No need to repeat yourself.

I wasn't reffering to whether or not you said you would try to diffuse it. The statement you highlighted was in responce to your confidence that you could block any strike (as it seems you have.)

I was agreeing the best way is to try to diffuse it.

If there are that many people around and you are backing off the whole time - trying to talk your way out of the situation and this punk won't let it go, you he forces you into a situation that you feel you have no other recourse, that you have to strike - then do it. It will hold up in court as long as you don't go to far and you did truely try to walk away from the situation.

Also, from my experience most people don't want to go to sit on the stand for someone they don't know - the majority of people won't even give a statement to the police.

Also you don't have to hospitalize someone when you fight. Unless you do serious damage it may not even make it to court.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

In the UK and I hear most US states a pre emptive strike is allowable if justified.

You have to know the signs that pre empt an attack so you can justify it.

There are other verbal thing that can be done to help with this......

I'm not willing to take the risk that his shot isnt gonna be good or that punch is a knife

At my school, they put this guy that had only been a BB for about 5 months in a teaching possition. They gave him the Beginning adults class. There was a lot of complaints about it because they felt he wasnt fully trained in teaching. A person may be able to show you how to do something or tell you, but you yourself must learn how to do it affectivly. :D

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

There was a lot of complaints about it because they felt he wasnt fully trained in teaching. A person may be able to show you how to do something or tell you, but you yourself must learn how to do it affectivly.

My friend there are those that can fight and those that can teach if he is a BB he should be qualified however we must inspect the ranking and advancement system aswell.Srry to kinda go off topic :wink:

I find in the MA's world some of us have led ourselfs to beleive that if i learn a technique that can really hurt tthis guy then hes finished ...not totaly coorect..bruce's observation of the MA's classical mess is very intriging and he was surely ahead of is time, to fortify this there is a saying quote "Knowledge without skill is useless but skill without knowledge is just a waste of time" :idea:

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

id have to say its is true on what you are talking about but i am a dedicated student and im not afraid to fight and in our dojo we do full contact sometimes and others we dont beacuse we do want to keep our club alive and not beat them out

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Maybe we read about martial artists who've been beaten up because the person who has attacked them is simply a better fighter. To be a good fighter you need to practice, and perhaps the opponent is just much more experienced in actual fighting. Also, the MA may be too confident in their skills and not fight their hardest, which is always a mistake as you shouldn't underestimate your opponent.

I guess we'd have to actually witness the fight to know what happened.

I have seen plenty of articles where a martial artist has successfully defended themselves from an opponent, too; we aren't all wusses!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse