• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why some MA people get beat in real fights

Lucidartist,

You brought up something I forgot to mention. Spirit. You gotta have it when you train properly. It's that motivation and energy that will help condition your body when you train for the fateful moment of truth.

MA

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucidartist,

You brought up something I forgot to mention. Spirit. You gotta have it when you train properly. It's that motivation and energy that will help condition your body when you train for the fateful moment of truth.

MA

Yes although the people who train me have a lot of tech to offer and would always tell you hard practice is key they do say that superior spirit can tip a fight in your favour. I think its just that spirit encompasses so much else, if your unsure of your tech your going to be uncertain and your spirit will suffer. I don't think it just means going crazy and having stamina its masses more.

I think that the main reason many martial artists can be beaten is that they are not prepared for it mentally. As Martial_artist said, most schools do not (and in some ways cannot) prepare students for the pschological factors of real combat. Regardless of how you train in the dochang, you still are always aware of the fact that you are in the dochang, not on the streets, so you never really reach the physical state that you would under conditions of an actual attack.

If you have ever been in a bad car accident or nearly so, you know what it is like to have a high adrenaline level (don't confuse with the shaky andrenaline withdrawl afterwards). Physically you will probably feel very strong and fast, but whether you are aware of it or not, you are less coordinated, and you are not thinking as clearly or quickly as you normally would. This is somewhat like the jolt to you system you would encounter in a street fight.

But the point is that very few people ever really feel this regularly (or at all) in their training. As much as you may like to think you could remain calm in a fight situation, the initial adrenaline jolt is practically impossible to avoid as it is completely involuntary. Regardless of the physical fitness of a martial artist, if they are not prepared for this, they are in trouble. It is not enouh to simply know that it will happen, because when it actually does happen you will forget that it's supposed to happen.

Once my instructor surprise-attacked me when I was walking home from class. THAT was a lesson, probably the best he ever gave me.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

All I can say about full contact sparring is it's great training, especially when you do it frequently, and with higher belts than yourself. As far as the fear of full-contact, I got over that within the first couple days, using only shinpads and knucklepads, full-contact. And later, I switched dojos and we didnt even use pads for full-contact!

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.

they lose mostly because they are defensive.thinking about countering or blocking or sparring.Its about fighting offensively,Hit first hit fast hit furious.They get suckered then hit til they go down.The fight doesnt start squared off like a sparring match.Learn the signals when someones about to go physical and hit first,dont worry about what they are going to do to you,or how to counter.Do what the untrained guy does hit first and dont stop.

Does anyone else fight offensively (not aggresive reactive)?

I'm happy to say I haven't been in a "fight" since junior high school!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Does anyone else fight offensively (not aggresive reactive)?

I'll always wait for the other guy to go first, but from there on it's offensive.

I'll always try to diffuse the situation first.

If the other guy gets violent, I assume I've failed and react with enough violence to stop him.

Visit Shaolin, Chinese Martial Arts

- I don't fear the 10,000 techniques you've practised once, I fear the one technique you've practiced 10,000 times. -

Yeah I try to diffuse the situation 1st.But if you wait for the other guy to get violent your still defensive (reacting) to what he does.You have to take control thats how you win thats how martial artists lose (some).Imagine he hits you first in the throat you cant really come back from that?

He won't hit me in the throat first :P

And I won't be on the defensive.

Just because he is the first to attack doesn't mean that I will be on the defensive. Maybe for his first strike, but he better make it good, because it will be his only one.

Visit Shaolin, Chinese Martial Arts

- I don't fear the 10,000 techniques you've practised once, I fear the one technique you've practiced 10,000 times. -

I think the reason why some martial artists lose street fights becuase they are too dependant on what they have learned, and think way too much on what they are going to do instead of just doing it. I think an effective martial artist should be crafty and smart. One must use what was learned to find what will work for you, and how you want to use it. The instructor gives you the techniques and the suggestions on how one should execute them. In the end, its your body, and you can choose on how you want to use the techniques presented to you.

In a real fight as well, one doesn't want to think, simply because one doesn't have time to think. The problem with some martial artists is because they think too much in the fight. One can't think, one has to take action. Observe than execute, don't process what is seen, don't try and figure out what the opponent is going to do, don't try and figure out what technique is best, don't figure out what direction you want to go, just don't think one doesn't have time for that in a real fight. Just use one, and connect. If one thinks too long, then the opponent would have already made a desicion, and then one would have to observe again. You have to fight with gut decisions and instinct, not only with your mind