• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questonable instruction.

BKJ1216

I went to the local goju-ryu dojo today. I watched the whit belt class. It was intresting because as I looked at the shedule I noticed that one class teaches most of the ranks. Like instead of having on rank in one class they have mixed ones. Like green - purple and three instructors to teach them all. On the other hand the shudokan dojo has different classes for every rank, about 16 instructors, still not sure how many instructor per class, but there is one rank in every class instead of mixed. Which do you guys think is better instruction?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well, the Dojo here where I signed up teaches White-Yellow-Orange and then everything else together. I couldn't tell you much because I'm not an expert on the matter, but, in the long run in Goju, everything goes back to the basics, so your never to advanced for the other belts. And you can also offer your advice to the lower ranks. I don't know my thoughts at least :)

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Personally, from an instructors standpoint, I like to have the students broken down into Beginner (white,orange,gold), Intermediate (green,purple,blue), and advanced (brown,red). This allows for more focus on rank specific curriculum and allow lets them see the higher rank level without being overwelmed. Instructors who teach all belt levels must be very efficient in multi-tasking in order to be effective.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

In our dojo all ranks are together cause it's a small dojo with only 2 instructors. One teaches the newbies the other takes care of the "doctors" in Karate :) Having such a group is not always a good idea, but still the job can be good, cause you can always give them separate tasks (hard for advanced, some easier stuff for the beginners). If they work hard it really doesn't matter that much :)

It is a common practice to have more than one rank in class. One of the ways students learn to focus their attention better is through the multi rank class structure. They are forced to pay attention to what they are doing during kata practice instead of trying to follow the person in front of them who may not be doing the same thing.

It also provides opportunities for the more senior students to learn more by helping students of a lesser rank.

In my club, all of the ranks train together, and I believe that is common. The standards that are expected of the higher ranks are just much higher. We split up to work on kata, and we have additional classes just for dan ranks once a month at the club headquarters.

If you want to get better, spar with people who are better than you. Ask them questions. See how they do it. Those are some of the benefits of training with all ranks.

The only thing is, in my opinion, there should be NO kids in an adult class. The adult class should be an oppurtunity to train hard without much restraint.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Both have pros and cons.

The mixed class is good so the lower ranks can see higher ranks and learn by watching. However it also makes them feel like they are way behind.

The one rank classes allow people to work with people their own rank and develope that way but they may not get a real since of how good or bad they are. At the same time you can be singled out and watched closer because everyone is doing the same thing.

Bottom line its as long as it is wide.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."