• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I've always seen those as sport arts

Its true judo suposedly was strickly for combat but has evolved to adapt to competition. Before a hip throw was stickly dropping ur opponent on his head now its more competition wise, leaving that out.

:karate:

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

I think any MA can be considered a "combat" Martial Art.

I think the discipline is a tool, there for you to use how ever you wish.

You can take any system and use it to compete in tourneys or street fights or just for fun... whether or not it is combative is up to how the practioner applies it.

And trophies in the window doesn't mean anythin

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

Don't forget Hapkido! While not theoretically an offensive "fighting" MA, in a real fight, you will most certainly use Hapkido (vs say, Taekwondo, where you might get a kick or two off, but a real fight may quickly degenerate to grappling or close quarters boxing).

The Comparative Martial Arts Page: http://www.vaporspace.net/~diablos/martialarts/

boxing is a combative martial art

Unless you get tackled. :lol:

I know of a school that teaches TKD, the instructor is a former Olympic Bronze medal winner in TKD in 1988 olympics, so he teaches very much sport TKD. I've had a couple of his students say the same thing I commented above. Great stuff in a fist fight, but if they get tackled, show is over.

Kung Fu - Orange Sash *Last attended 1998

Tetsu Hei(MMA) - White Belt

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

Its true judo suposedly was strickly for combat but has evolved to adapt to competition. Before a hip throw was stickly dropping ur opponent on his head now its more competition wise, leaving that out.

hmmmm, I thougth Jui-Jitsu was the combative martial art, then Judo came as a non-injury causing sport from JJ.

Kung Fu - Orange Sash *Last attended 1998

Tetsu Hei(MMA) - White Belt

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

hmmmm, I thougth Jui-Jitsu was the combative martial art, then Judo came as a non-injury causing sport from JJ.

Doesn't matter.

1. if you get thrown on the concrete, it will hurt - especially if you don't know how to fall.

2. the throw will give you enough space to get away, provided you aren't fighting multiple assailiants

3. it's not hard to modify the throws for combat - you can figure out the modifications (or ask your teacher) and then drill them. Examples:

Hiza guruma - instead of hitting the knee from the side, you hit it head on, snapping it as he steps forward.

ippon seionage - don't turn your waist when you throw - bend straight over sending him to the ground head first.

tsuri komi goshi - basically sends you over head first anyway.

osoto gari - push back on the chin instead of the shoulder, slamming the head into the concrete.

ko soto gake - the chin push applies here too.

BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo

Funny, I've always seen those as sport arts.

1. they spar full contact on a regular basis with the techniques they will use, as opposed to only simulating contact with eye gouges, groin strikes, etc.

2. sport or not, knees hurt. so do elbows and throws.

3. remember the locks are breaks. several people have been choked unconscious and had broken limbs from not tapping in competition and in practice.

4. sport implies competition. competition implies training hard. you have to in order to keep up with your opponents. the avg sport fighter likely trains harder than the avg. traditional stylist.