• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Martial Arts are considered "Combative Martial Art

boxing is a combative martial art

Unless you get tackled. :lol:

I know of a school that teaches TKD, the instructor is a former Olympic Bronze medal winner in TKD in 1988 olympics, so he teaches very much sport TKD. I've had a couple of his students say the same thing I commented above. Great stuff in a fist fight, but if they get tackled, show is over.

as opposed to TKD? like they teach any takedown defenses..boxer can at least fighti n close...TKD does not even teach clinch fighitng..

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My art I would assume is a combative art. My sensei mentions that our class is more geared towards "street" rather than tournament fighting. But as I'm sure most know even a tournament art can be effective.

Michael Smith

Kung Fu Sansoo, Budo Taijutsu, Ninjutsu, Kajukenbo, Krav Maga, Atemi Ryu Jujitsu, and most of the arts that don't have "do" at the end of it. By the way does anyone know if any Kajukenbo fighters have entered UFC or Pride?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

boxing is a combative martial art

Unless you get tackled. :lol:

I know of a school that teaches TKD, the instructor is a former Olympic Bronze medal winner in TKD in 1988 olympics, so he teaches very much sport TKD. I've had a couple of his students say the same thing I commented above. Great stuff in a fist fight, but if they get tackled, show is over.

as opposed to TKD? like they teach any takedown defenses..boxer can at least fighti n close...TKD does not even teach clinch fighitng..

Mistakes you are making:

1. Don't make such a general assumption about styles. What any style teaches will depend on the teacher's experiences. I do know TKD guys that are taught throws - several. One in particular trains with a guy who also has some degree of black belt in hapkido and judo - the guy has trained guys who were ranked 3rd in the world in judo - of course he teaches throws.

Even if he didn't teach throws, he teaches olympic caliber tkd guys... think about the training someone going to the olympics must go through. Do YOU train that hard? food for thought.

2. you are underestimating the TKD guy, and you know nothing about him. who says he's only trained TKD? like the coach I mentioned in the example above, he could've trained multiple styles.

Kung Fu Sansoo, Budo Taijutsu, Ninjutsu, Kajukenbo, Krav Maga, Atemi Ryu Jujitsu, and most of the arts that don't have "do" at the end of it. By the way does anyone know if any Kajukenbo fighters have entered UFC or Pride?

If I remember right, there was one. If I remember right, he lost. I'll double check.

Thanks, I appreciate that SevenStar.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

your whole argumen is that Boxing is great unless you get tackled..my point is that TKD does not teach anything more effective than boxing to avoid takedowns and boxer atleat know how to clinch.

I do know TKD guys that are taught throws - several. One in particular trains with a guy who also has some degree of black belt in hapkido and judo - the guy has trained guys who were ranked 3rd in the world in judo - of course he teaches throws.

Thats great, now they are not learning that from TKD are they? are boxers not allowed to learn grappling as well?

Don't make such a general assumption about styles

does TKD teach takedown defense for double and single leg type takedowns? no..if they learn it it is from another style.

Even if he didn't teach throws, he teaches olympic caliber tkd guys... think about the training someone going to the olympics must go through

what does that have to do with takedowns or boxing?

Do YOU train that hard? food for thought.

another thing that has nothing to do with anything.

you are underestimating the TKD guy, and you know nothing about him. who says he's only trained TKD? like the coach I mentioned in the example above, he could've trained multiple styles.

you are underestimating the boxer guy, and you know nothing about him. who says he's only trained boxing? like the coach I mentioned in the example above, he could've trained multiple styles.

-see how if i take the word TKD out and replace it with boxing the same can be said for your original post?