• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what MA should you choose if you are 29

Hi, I guess the subject basically states my question. I'm 29 turning 30, i have been a gym regular since like 24 so I am in good shape, not whining or scared to "get hurt", I want to learn how to fight even tough i may not be the next Mike Tyson, what do you think. I know the question might seem idiotic but there a many people who started like at 12 that seem to treat guys my age as we were senior citizens... what do you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yup, whichever one you like. Try a few different styles before you commit to one. There is no age limit and you might make a better student now than you did when you were younger.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

It shouldn't matter which one you pick. Since you're 29, you should focus on "which style will give me what I'm looking for?" instead of, "which style is good for old people." :) Remember, there are 40 year olds that are just starting too. Edited by night gilley

If you want to learn how to fight here are my suggestions-

-Muay Thai

-Boxing

-KYOKUSHIN karate

-Krav Maga

Grappling-

judo

braziliain Jiu jitsu

Avoid any Judo Dojo that has lots of trophys. Some teach combat Judo but most teache it as a sport. I knew 3 instructors that blew out knees in tournaments.

From personal experience I would recommend Ninpo Taijitsu if you can find it. A authentic Ninpo school sanctioned by the Bujinkan usualy doesn't train kids(under 18) so you won't be too bad off Gramps(I am 31).

From what I have read off the forum here I would also recommend Krav Maga, Jujitsu, and Kenpo.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Look in your phone book. See what's around your area. Take advantage of free classes. Check a few schools out.

Check out this site : https://www.martialinfo.com

Click on "looking for a school near you" link on the left. It will show a map. Click on the state. Then the town (or near by town). From this site, you can even research styles.

Stear away from long term contracts, or a school that forces you to sign one. There's no need. My school doesn't have contracts and it's a good school.

I hope this helps :)

Laurie F

Yes, that contract stuff is crap. I learned the other day that there is a martial arts club in my area that make you sign a two year deal. Two years!

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

I just got out of a three year contract :o I wanted to switch schools, so I had to buy the contract out. I thought it was better to do that than stay another two years and pay lots more money.

Anyways, Lashtal, let us know how it goes on your search :)

Laurie F