• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt Quitters

Oh I think you care... otherwise you wouldn't have designated your degree in your sig :)

I believe we are getting "off topic" now....

When I posted "BB quitters" I was referring to those just receiving their black belt and then quitting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my club there are several black belts but none have quit. however a few of the students are saying that once they have reached there black beklt they are going to quit. i have been ablack belt for about a year now and i have never thought of quitting. i dont believe that some people can work so hard and then say forget it. a black belt is only worth having if you are still going to train. what is thepoint in aving one if all your going to do with it is keep it on a shelf. im not sure whether people think that once they have reached that grade they are supreme. as one of my senior instructors told me you only begin to truly learn once you have reached your black belt. to begin with i was like you are joking, but now i know it is true. i have learned more in the one year of being a dan grade than the 3 being a kyu grade.

any one who thinks that once they have their black belt and are thinking of quitting ask yourself this: "what is the point of getting this far if all your going to do is quit?" why waste the energy and money and hard work that you put in toget it. surely if allyou are wanting is a trophy belt, why not go to a shop and buy one, it is obviously easier.

1st dan black belt- shotokan karate

Our TKD union is soon requiring our students to remain training for a minimum of 6 months after earning their black belt.

I am in total agreeance w/ that, our dojo has a probationary time frame of 1 year. If you do anything do disgrace your belt or your fellow students, it can be taken away. This is a good way to "earn" your black belt. We also give them a written test of all the stuff they've learned in addition to things they never have heard of so they keep the though in their mind.. "Ok, now that I have my black belt, I just realized that my cup is still empty and I need to learn more". Learning and studying the martial arts doesn't have to stop once you earn your first black belt.

In my school theres only been around... 3 of us black belts? None of us have left but what I find stupid is when people fail their black belt and decide to quit because they didn't pass it first time! Whats the point in that? You don't give up, took me 3 goes...

I don't see why they decide to get to black and then quit. It's a waste of money in my opinion. You could do other stuff with the money...

And another thing. I don't see why the parents force their child to do karate or any other MA. If the child does go then they do completely nothing right, lowsey stances, no effort and nothing. They're just wasting the instructor's time! :D

Thats my point of view... If I've understood the post right.. :s

Everybodies Going Kung Fu Fighting! Yah Hoocha! LMAO

• 4 weeks later...
The dojo i train is has alot of there Black Belts stay due to the fact that our system is set up diffrently.As students we understand that as a Kyu rank..the techniques we are learning is building a strong base for the advance techniques in the Dan ranks.Its basicaly like alot of martial artist say,The Black Belt is just the beginning of your training..a black belt means you are a senior strudent in your Dojo,someone who has put alot of time and training into the art you are studying.So a word of advice to those of you that might think that once you reach black belt,its time to quit cause you think you know all there is to learn,or you wanna explore new arts,don,t cheat yourself..don,t be a jack of all trades..train hard,stay dedicated..and be a master:)

3rd Kyu Brown Belt

To learn more about Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei,goto http://www.kiyojuteryu.org/

Im a BB quitter. i came to my dojo pretty much first generation. i quit because it was pure anarchy and i lost all interest in it. they kept making classes for more advanced but those little 7 year old green belts just kept coming in and they did nothing. there was no class where i could have progressed. i was even going up for red/black test and i didnt know anything about the requirements for the belt. thats how bad it was. i didnt even know the first move of the kata that i needed to know.

fight til you die

My old school had a six month probationary period. The BB test fee included 6months of tuition and the student received a plain black belt. After the 6 months, if the BB attended and taught regularly, he/she received their association BB with name, etc. on it. They almost always stayed after that.

8)

I don't get this whole six month thing... If the person is going to quit, theu are likely going to quit with or without that extra six months. Also, their skill isn't going to improve that greatly after the six months anyway. If they want to go, let them go. The school's goal should be to produce people who are competent in the style and who put forth effort to learn it. Don't worry about the ones who are no longer putting forth effort after getting their BB - they made that choice. Focus on improving the students who want to stay. In the long run, they will be easier to teach than people you are forcing to stay.

The dojo i train is has alot of there Black Belts stay due to the fact that our system is set up diffrently.As students we understand that as a Kyu rank..the techniques we are learning is building a strong base for the advance techniques in the Dan ranks.Its basicaly like alot of martial artist say,The Black Belt is just the beginning of your training..a black belt means you are a senior strudent in your Dojo,someone who has put alot of time and training into the art you are studying.So a word of advice to those of you that might think that once you reach black belt,its time to quit cause you think you know all there is to learn,or you wanna explore new arts,don,t cheat yourself..don,t be a jack of all trades..train hard,stay dedicated..and be a master:)

Nothing wrong with being a jack of all trades - that's the theory that cross training is built on, and what has shaped the evolution of today's MA. Let's say you master TKD or Shotokan - what good will that do you when you get taken to the ground? cross train in a ground grappling style. What if you master BJJ, but have never done any striking? someone who is competent in striking and grappling will maul you. You should have a solid grounding in one style before moving on, but there's no need to only stay in that style.

As far as belt revoking goes, it is definitely allowed in Chinese styles, but only in extreme cases - lack of training is not good enough reason. SERIOUS disgraces to the style/teacher only.

Nothing wrong with being a jack of all trades - that's the theory that cross training is built on, and what has shaped the evolution of today's MA. Let's say you master TKD or Shotokan - what good will that do you when you get taken to the ground? cross train in a ground grappling style. What if you master BJJ, but have never done any striking? someone who is competent in striking and grappling will maul you. You should have a solid grounding in one style before moving on, but there's no need to only stay in that style.

I think the original post was more about the BB quitters that quit MAs all together. Feeling they would rather spend their time doing other things, or that they are getting too old to train.

I also don't see as big an issue with someone leaving after BB, IF they feel they could benefit more from training in a suplemetary art.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.