• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt Quitters

Kickchick, that will work. My TSD dojang did that. The instructor allowed all the cho dan bo (black belt canidates) to attend the black belt classes. It worked really well. Of course, that was the toughest class of them all.

My new school has a large black belt class, but that's the kids. There's about 30 to 40 of them. The adult BB's range around 20 to 25. There isn't that many color belts. So that tells me that all the color belts stay to become BB's AND stay after that.

I haven't been there long enough to see if anyone has quit (or will) when they get their BBs.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to be one of them, but my family moved a couple months after receiving it and I couldn't really afford to continue after that (special circumstances made it a lot cheaper than usual). I started again with new arts that were a little more attractive to me when I had the money coming in.

I wouldn't set 6 month training rules for people though. You've had a couple years on their way to black belt to explain to them that it's only the beginning. If they still don't get it by the time they reach that level, well, it's their loss. Why complicate life even further? MA isn't about paperwork :).

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

My old school had a six month probationary period. The BB test fee included 6months of tuition and the student received a plain black belt. After the 6 months, if the BB attended and taught regularly, he/she received their association BB with name, etc. on it. They almost always stayed after that.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Reminds me of the saying .... "A Black Belt is a White Belt that never Quit".. :karate: :nod:

"It wouldn't be such a big problem if black belts weren't handed out so easily."

That is not the problem in this case rb....Martial arts training (in this case TKD) does require a long-term commitment if you hope to develop proficiency. To become a TKD black belt in our school usually demands a minimum of five years training. Probably the most difficult challenge for students to overcome is sticking with it when they don't know they are constantly getting better.

As a beginner their excitement level is high. You're exploring a new environment, new concepts, metting new friends. Youre learning how to move your body in ways you never thought possible. And then .... you seem to think you know it all :roll:

good topic. i was at the same TKD school for 13 years, saw many people leave. At Black belt some of the reasons were....

Reached the goal, been there done that.....next... tap dance...

Several wanted to leave at red or brown, but wanted to finish what they started.....in thier view.

In the early years of the school, it was TKD only. There was no weapons, no cross training in grappling styles(not popular way back when) and some of the black belts felt their growth had stopped.....more the fault of the head instructor than the art itself.

I saw several also leave driven away buy conflict with the head instructor.

Of course it is important for them to be informed about what they will miss training wise, but I think its better to let them go, than keep them hanging on if they dont want to be there. They can end up being a negative force in the school. To force them to hang around waiting for a cert. will not keep them there for the long hall.

"The more we change, the more we stay the same"