• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you guys think of the Wing Chun stance, dont know what its called but its where they havew two legs apart like a triangewith two hands in front of them. its looks pretty dodgy to me(no offence), what does everyone else especially WC practitioners think of it. To It looks unstable, exposes more area to attack, makes you less mobile etc...

:idea:

"Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole body and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.''-Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Wing Chun stance is used to allow for maximum mobility and gives the practitioner the ability to sink into the ground for stability. Although it does look at frist glance to be unreliable as a fighting stance. Through proper training with a Wing Chun Sifu, one will come to understand the small things dealing with sinking, softness, stillness and efficient energy release.

The reason the body is facing forward to the opponent is to allow eaqual use of the arms. When the body is faced sideways one hand is always closer than the other. This trains the pratitioner to train one side as the strong side and the other as a front. Such is the case with american boxing. Most of them are stronger on one side and weaker on the other. Normally the right side is stronger.

While the Wing Chun stance presents a bigger target for your opponent to strike, it promotes the eqaul use and effectivness of both hands. Because of the apparent weakness in the Wing Chun body position, Wing Chun practitioners train to be experts at blocking and trapping. They also train at closing the distance with an opponent which is where Wing Chun is most effective and deadly.

I hope that this helps to clarify any confusion or doubt. Remember that many of the styles you will see on the path to martial knowledge. Have been in existance for hundreds of years. They all hold something of value, a lesson to be learned. There is no right or wrong way, it is up to you to find out what works for you best. Wing Chun is not for everyone, same as boxing, karate, tae kwon do ect...

Very Respectfully

wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

• 3 weeks later...

I train in WC and I think that the starting stance (or goat clamping stance or whatever it is!) is unstable from the front. However when you apply the stance principles into a ready stance it is very stable. I think people who do not train in WC see that goat clamping stance and dismiss it as useless.

I would never fight with the goat clamping stance, but when it is applied on one of its side it is extremely stable, but something that is essential is to keep your centreline towards the opponent and to keep the body square.

the instability of the stance is less of a problem as WC tries to remain off the opponent centreline and from on angle.

This is a bit of a quick rant so I'm sure you can all pick at it :roll:

cheers

cat stance??? :-?

wuhh? what's that? naww i dont think we do any cat stances. there's no bending over, the spine is always straight. so if you saw some wing chun practitioners bending over in some "cat" stance, then there not from a good school or there just not going by wing chun at all.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

Please do not listen to anyone who tells you that Wing Chun fighters use a variation of Neko Ashi Dachi or "Cat Stance".

Wing Chun uses Yee Gee Kim Yueng Ma (pyramid or "Goat Clamping stance") only for use with the forms. It builds the bases for all of the WC stances and footwork. It teaches the concept of sinking and stillness. And it aids in conditioning of the legs.

The WC fighting stance is born from Yee Gee Kim Yueng Ma. There is only one fighting stance that is combined with several types of footwork, all with the same stance. Nothing even close to a cat stance.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

The Wing Chun stance faces more square toward the opponent so that both your hands can be used for simultaneous attack and defense. If the front hand must intercept, the back hand is there as a last line of defense. If the back hand must block, the front hand is ready to jab. Also both hands are placed linearly to face the very middle of the opponent's centerline. Therefore the opponent must strike you from the outside in to your centerline, where it is much easier for one to defend and attack since your limbs will be traveling the least distance. The weight of the body is also also 85% on the back leg, so that the front leg is loose therefore able to kick or block with much more speed and power.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

wuhh? what's that? naww i dont think we do any cat stances. there's no bending over, the spine is always straight. so if you saw some wing chun practitioners bending over in some "cat" stance, then there not from a good school or there just not going by wing chun at all.

There is no "bending over" in the martial "cat stance" (though I suppose you could be thinking of the cat pose in Yoga).

What I'm aware of fits reasonable with Lee's description; I've usually seen it entirely rear-weighted, but otherwise similar.

That is to say, one hand extended at nose level, onf at ehar level pointing at the extended hand's elbow, back stright and reasonably vertical, "sitting" on one leg with the other leg close in and forward.

our stance is a training strance, as someone mentioned b 4 it help condition our legs and helps us to better understand the concepts such as triangulation and centre line.

it is a training stance so we wouldnt fight on the street in it.

• 1 month later...

despite how it looks, it is very stable even from the front.

my sifu is able to resist a push directly from the front whilst in the stance without budging. he can even remain motionless while standing on one leg in stance. for those who say that you don't fight in the square on stance you are almost right because you would move but you can most definitely receive anything whilst in stance.

the strength of the stance lies in the fact that it is designed not to lower your centre of mass although this is an important part, but to redirect all frontal pressures into the ground. on the other hand this also means that any "push" that you make will be coming from the ground up...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."