• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

A handgun, ofcourse, is the easiest way to defend yourself. But if it ever comes to the situation of having to defend yourself and you pull your gun, and fire... then you're in a big mess. Even if it was self defense, that doesn't mean you won't have to go to court and explain yourself why you shot the person why was merely trying to snatch your wallet.

I sometimes carry a 5% spring assisted knife with a 3 inch blade. I don't yet do martial arts... but I've trained myself with knives and swords pretty well. I've never stabbed or cut (except myself, on accident) anyone with it. But once I did take it out of my pocket... all I did was some fancy hand tricks (sort of how you can spin it around your hand with a butterfly knife) and the 2 guys walked away.

Now if only butterfly knives were legal, then I could really show off :)

But I don't really live in a rough neighborhood, the 2 guys that threatened to attack me were just pissed off cause I was going out with one of his ex gf's at the time. If you really live in a rough neighborhood where you're worried you could get killed... get a gun! A beretta 9mm semi isn't bad really... my friend has one.. it never jams.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

if we are talking traditional weaponary here, id say sai. light, portable, easy to conceal, easy to summon in a hurry, good for defending and plenty of good strikes often at the same time. not to mention a level of sleek sweetness that can only be defined as BO-YA!

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

well, in the uk, pretty much everything is illegal in the streets.

AND there's the fact even if you use an everyday object as a weapon you can be charged with something that relates to "use as an offensive weapon" (or something similar).

haven't actually given this much thought but if you're talking about sheer versitility (in martial arts terms) then the good old 9 foot staff would be quite good. it has range, can control without really hurting and yet still hurt when you need it to.

takes a hell of a long time to master though but then most good things are.

also quite partial to three section staff as well but only because they're so much fun.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

sword canes.executive pen set (three sided razor sharp blade) flat saps. Billies(black jack) sap gloves. bass knuckles,or aluminum....these were the things people use in the past I remember. some of these things may still be around??......But they could get a guy in a jam too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Practice is the best of all instructors...

Where I am from (a fairly rough area) in the UK, I have been involved in or witnessed a number of incidents involving various weapons. Since we don't have so many handguns in the UK (since there is a total ban on all handguns and gun laws are really strict), people have to be more inventive.

My friends and I have been attacked or threatened with a large number of different weapons: iron bars, screwdriver, knives (switchblade and balisong), rocks, air pistols, blow darts(!?), spanners, a kobutan, brass knuckles, glass bottles, a crossbow and a hammer etc.

My own preference in terms of weaponry is a full drinks can. I used it once by accident when I was attacked by a gang and I think that it is ideal as a weapon. I used a palm heel strike to my would be assailants face with the can in my palm. I broke his nose and left him with a clearly visible ring where the can hit his face - as he hit the deck, his friends were shocked and this allowed me the time to escape and get help for my friends.

I called the Police and told them what I had done and they let me get into the car and go find my friends who had been left behind (getting beaten up). We found some of the people who had attacked us and it turned out that the Police knew exactly who they were and that they had a history of violence - I was warned that they could press charges of assault against me, but nothing came of it which was lucky.

So a soft drink can is great! It is not recognisable as a weapon, since it is quite OK to carry a can around with you and I can attest to it's effectiveness.

I read somewhere that the Ninja apparently wore iron rings on their wrists which could be slipped over the knuckles for extra kick to their punches and palm strikes, which might be worth considering. I haven't found any jewellery suitable for this purpose however a lot of "scallies" wear large signet rings, and if you get hit with those, you can end up with a clear imprint of the ring in your face where you wouldn't usually be bruised - which they love to brag about.

Another weapon worth considering is a set of keys held poking through the fist which can also be thrown at the attacker as a distraction.

By the very fact that I am participating in this conversation about self defence weapons could be construed (to the general populous) that I am premeditating using weapons in a violent situation. I make it clear that using weapons is not something that I ever wish to do - it is certainly morally questionable if there are alternatives. I own only training weapons (rubber, plastic or wood) and will keep it that way.

In the book "Master of the Blade" by Richard Ryan he remarks that while the 7" fixed blade combat knife with an embossed skull and crossbows "Death Dealer" logo might look great in the shop; when you're in court protesting your use of the knife was in self defence and it's held up for all to see, then it might not look so great. I think this is an attitude which we should all have. Just think what other people would think of you! I bought the book looking for ideas on knife defences (trying to get into the head of the knife carrier) - some of you gun toters should have a read of it, it's quite a good book!

All I'm trying to say is that, as martial artists, a number of people already look upon us as dangerous and unpredictable (uncontrollable) so in my opinion, it's best not to scare them further and attract a strong reaction from the law by carrying or using weapons which have no purpose other than to be weapons.

In effect, I'm going to systematize the office stapler for combat - in a couple of hundred years everyone will be doing stapler katas!

Just my two pence worth :)

Withers M.A.A. just curious. Have you ever had to use the gun on someone? Is your neighborhood that bad? Or does your job require it? A gun is designed to kill, not many options with a gun. I carry a small knife, not too effective against a gun. I hope you never have to use it. The knife I carry serves 2 purposes. One is it's handy to carry a knife for cutting things and such. The other is if things get a little too much for me in a fight and it's the only way I'm going to get out of there, then it's cutting time. I hope it never comes to that, cause I know how and where to cut. Anyway Good Luck. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"