• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Gi or not to Gi, that is the question.

Hey Ken - there's a tournament here in Vancouver at the end of next month and there's grappling demonstrations by a Gracie - I can't remember his name, maybe it's Royler but I assume he's related to the Gracie Family you speak of. I'm gonna try to make it out to see him if I can. See ya!

Lori :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I only train with a unform when i'm told that i have to. Otherwise i'm in trackpants and a t-shirt. I train in old jeans (i always wear jeans or something that needs a belt when i go out) to simulate the street sometimes too. I make sure that when i go out i always have a belt around my waist (on my jeans of course), cos it's made of tough leather and can be used as a weapon when folded in half.

I've only ever had to use a uniform for Goju Karate and HapKiDo, and now i have to use one for BJJ.

I don't really like them, but if i have to use them in order to train in what i want to train then i will use them.

Peace peoples,

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 1 year later...

prodigy child im like you, i live in montreal and training for me with a gi, is realistic because everyone wears jackets all year round,

we train gi 3 weeks a month and the 4th week no gi

and there is also a combat submission wrestling class, that train no-gi at my school

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

i preffer to train without the Gi, because usually you're NOT wearing a Gi all time, you will be more confortable when a real situation presents to you if you are used to train with common clothes.

Valencia - Venezuela.

Definately Gi. It keeps the dojo more traditional. A nice white gi. When you put it on it helps get you in the Karate mindset. You are ready to train. It is the same as a football player wearing their uniforms when they play. You don't see them just running around the field in sweats. So I think the Gi is the way to go!:)!

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---