• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is karate really effective?

Anzie

Boxers run loads, every day usually so their legs are very strong. Hard to drop someon with on leg kick. In my experience this is rare so i would not count on it. Leg kicks wear people down quickly so they are very useful in that respect but i dont see them as a "finishing" move by any means.

I use punching for that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shoduln't all dojos do contact sparring though?

yes, but point sparring/slap fighting dosent count.

The reason I don't like boxing is simply because there is no leg defense, or techniques

ok' i'll ask you a THIRD TIME, DO YOU SPAR WITH LEG KICKS? LEGBLOCKS?

yup. we do in our club. (and it hurts!!!) especially when it is yellow belt against yellow belt. Boxing rules though.

Read a book!

Takk, superleeds :)

Bare in mind everyone, my intention with this post was not boxing vs karate, I just mentioned boxing as an example. Could've mentioned Thai Boxing or Hapkido for that matter. My question was just really if it's effective in a streetfight or similar. :karate:

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

Of course karate is effective. If you practice fighting, you are going to get better.

true, if you pactice real fighting..few schools practice close to reality imo...

Of course we can spar using leg kicks! just get together after class. We dont do it in class because of liability.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Of course we can spar using leg kicks! just get together after class. We dont do it in class because of liability.

see, most people do not then i take it..if you do it's "extra cirricular"