• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is karate really effective?

Anzie

I've heard from some people that ie boxing is a much better way to defend yourself on the street, and that karate is not going to help you very much on your self defense? Any comments?

as far as the original post, karate "can" be a good self defense stytem the problem is today you will proabably find a school that dosent do a good job.

unless it's a full contact style like Kyokoshin i belive there are better ways to learn street self defense, if thats what you looking for

Krav Maga would get the job done.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard from some people that ie boxing is a much better way to defend yourself on the street, and that karate is not going to help you very much on your self defense? Any comments?

as far as the original post, karate "can" be a good self defense stytem the problem is today you will proabably find a school that dosent do a good job.

unless it's a full contact style like Kyokoshin i belive there are better ways to learn street self defense, if thats what you looking for

Krav Maga would get the job done.

shoduln't all dojos do contact sparring though? I know that I orignally though mine didn't, I called him back and he said that most do, but at his I'd have to pay a fee and sign a relese.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

shoduln't all dojos do contact sparring though?

yes, but point sparring/slap fighting dosent count.

The reason I don't like boxing is simply because there is no leg defense, or techniques

ok' i'll ask you a THIRD TIME, DO YOU SPAR WITH LEG KICKS? LEGBLOCKS?

Listen TJS is right.

I did Karate for two years and even when you do a leg block it is not trained often enough to be usable and they dont have the conditioning.

Ok Karate can Kick but the speed and accuracy of boxing is amazing and you will have to kick a boxer alot because they are used to getting hit and on top of that they are very adaptive and will rapidly find the openings. You will find it hard to take many punches from a boxer because they hit with very fast combinations.

Isn't a good karate player supposed to be able to do all of those things too?

im saying this BKJ1216 is basis his whole argument on leg kicks, Leg kicks can be devestating to a boxer if you know how to use them and how to not get taged.

but unless you spar with leg kicks you proabably wont be good at them, not good enough to use them effectivly.

since he wont answer im taking it he does not spar with leg kicks.

Well I never said I could beat a boxer in the first place. Think about it though, boxers spend all their time conditioning their upper body, I bet their knees must be really weak. If someone could get a kick in, which I'm sure someone in this world is competent of doing, then it woudl really weaken the boxers footwork.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Well I never said I could beat a boxer in the first place. Think about it though, boxers spend all their time conditioning their upper body, I bet their knees must be really weak. If someone could get a kick in, which I'm sure someone in this world is competent of doing, then it woudl really weaken the boxers footwork.

I understand what your trying to say, but the fact of the matter is you have a good chance of getting knocked out in a bad way before you can take his legs out...unless you really know how to throw devestating leg kicks and how to not get taged when doing it. what your saying works in theory, thats about it, trust me.

boxing may be one dimensional and it's go plenty of weaknesses but boxer know how give hit and take a hit..anf generally they are pretty tough.

WE spar with leg kicks :)

Sparring is almost everything we do. That, and reaction-excercises and punches/kick/sweeps. No kata for us.

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.