• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is karate really effective?

Anzie

Are you actually currently studying karate BKJ1216?

No, he isn't, i've talked to him over AOL instant messenger, and he hasn't started yet. So don't take what he says too seriously :o .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average Karateka cant do leg kicks so forget it.

When i did karate we covered it quite often but i never really got it to work in sparring because we werent meant to use it in sparring and when i tried it outside of class i could not get it to work beacuse i didnt know it well enough and i have never seen a Karateka that does.

Now I do Muay Thai i can use the low leg kick well and my old friends at Karate(varius clubs) aint got a clue.

Hey now, even though I dont' study karate yet I'm still entitled to my opinion. Afterall I have to have some thought about fighitng, oterwise I probably woudln't be taking a martial art. Besides I never once said that anyone was wrong, I'm open to learning.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

no boxer is going to be able to fight with one leg

one quick and powerful sidekick can be done outside the range of the boxer's punches to his/her knee break it and the boxer would be gone.

That being said boxing has some of the best footwork there is

A well adept karateka should be able to use their head in a fight.

Front kicks are great for distancing an opponent, and sidekicks are great for disabling an opponents legs

like I said boxers are open to leg kicks, but you have to have the timing/power/experience and alot more ot be able to use them effectivly, and that comes form sparring.

The kick you are talking about is the same one Royce uses before he shoots for the clinch, effective but he never broke anyones knee with it.

well sparring allows us to familiarize with an opponent of a certain size and different speeds, that's why sparring with as many people of as many different sizes as you can is very useful.

I wouldn't attribute all of my fighting skill to just sparring though, if a sidekick is done properly with the blade of the foot it should break the bone. The operative word being should, as I've never had to use a sidekick in a real life situation I wouldn't know.

One of my senseis said something once about if you're ever in a real life fight make sure it's over as quickly as possible and make sure you leave the place as quickly as possible - you never know how many friends the person you fought has.

Problem is you dont know if it works of not. If it doesnt what you going to do then.

The truth of the matter is that it takes fewer punches to stop someone than kicks and boxers therefore have an advantage. This is mainly due to the fact that most punches are aimed at the head and are easier to land time after time than a head kick.

However it all depends on skill levels.

Im not into using techniques ive never seen work with my own eyes.

• 3 weeks later...
There are a lot of boxers that break there hands on the street, why in the world would you want to punch when there are so many targets to hit with other strikes, eyes,knees,adams apple,side of neck and groin, after these targets then you can use your karate

Where Art ends, nature begins.

why in the world would you want to punch when there are so many targets to hit with other strikes

because unlike holwood portrays it it's not soo easy to hit someone in the throat/kick them in the groin and karate chop them in the kneck..

boxers get sloppy with technique because they weear gloves so much..thats why its good to hit the bag bear knucke sometimes.

Well I think if I read the question right the original poster wanted to know what was best on the street. I'd say karate in that case. Not just because I study karate, and not boxing, but because the poster was specifically asking about the street, as in, fighting for real.

We learn so much more than just punching and kicking. It is the other, lethal and disabling techniques that I think give us the advantage. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't underestimate the boxer, and wouldn't try to outbox them :)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse