• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is karate really effective?

Anzie

I've heard from some people that ie boxing is a much better way to defend yourself on the street, and that karate is not going to help you very much on your self defense? Any comments?

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah karate can both be not helpful, and be helpful. Karate is definatley better than boxing for self defense, not saying that any karate person could beat a boxer, but boxing probably takes a lot more to be good enough to defend yourself real good with. Anyway karate shoudl be fine for street defense. It might not be the best when fithing other MAs, but it will get the job done.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

iF YOU HAVE EVER DONE BOXING YOU WOULD REALISE THAT IS PROBABLY THE BEST PUNCHING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD AND VERY EFFECTIVE FOR SELF DEFENCE. hOWEVER IT IS PUNCHING ONLY. iN PUNCHING RANGE A KARATEKA OF THE SAME SKILL LEVEL AS A BOXER WILL LOSE. BUT IF THE KARATEKA KEEPS THE BOXER IN KICKING RANGE AND MAKES PUNCHES AT OPERTUNITIES CREATED FROM KICKING THEN HE CAN WIN. REMEBER THOUGH PUNCHING ALMOST ALWAYS BEATS KICKING. ALMOST ALWAYS!

iF YOU HAVE EVER DONE BOXING YOU WOULD REALISE THAT IS PROBABLY THE BEST PUNCHING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD AND VERY EFFECTIVE FOR SELF DEFENCE. hOWEVER IT IS PUNCHING ONLY. iN PUNCHING RANGE A KARATEKA OF THE SAME SKILL LEVEL AS A BOXER WILL LOSE. BUT IF THE KARATEKA KEEPS THE BOXER IN KICKING RANGE AND MAKES PUNCHES AT OPERTUNITIES CREATED FROM KICKING THEN HE CAN WIN. REMEBER THOUGH PUNCHING ALMOST ALWAYS BEATS KICKING. ALMOST ALWAYS!

Umn you might want to look up when your typing for now on. Anyway, the only reason I think a boxer woudl lose, ise because he has no leg defense.

BJK-why on earth would you think it takes more boxing than it does karate to defend yourself?

Boxing is one dimensional and is not compete, but I will say this about it

1. hands are one of the most important things in a fight and NO ONE has better hands than boxing

2. boxers have something most People dont, they have the ability to take a hit and keep going..boxing taches you how to do this and i belive it's huge weakness in many schools.

ise because he has no leg defense.

does Karate spar with leg kicks? do you use shin blocks/aka leg defenses?

I know some stlyes do but i was under the impression most do not.

Boxing combined with Kyokoshin karate or Muay thai is brutally effective

boxing/wrestling or boxing/BJJ is also a scary combination..look at vitor belfort.

Edited by TJS

BJK-why on earth would you think it takes more boxing than it does karate to defend yourself?

Boxing is one dimensional and is not compete, but I will say this about it

1. hands are one of the most important things in a fight and NO ONE has better hands than boxing

2. boxers have something most People dont, they have the ability to take a hit and keep going..boxing taches you how to do this and i belive it's huge weakness in many schools.

ise because he has no leg defense.

does Karate spar with leg kicks? do you use shin blocks/aka leg defenses?

i know some stlyes do but i was under the impression most do not.

Well it's just, it's not a complete martial art. I'm sure it could beat a lot of arts. But If you're even half good fighter, you would try to exploit their legs, and depending on what art you study you will probably be sucessful. I do think karate is useful for self defense though, simply because the average person who is going to be messing around with you wont' be trained.

Anyway karate shoudl be fine for street defense. It might not be the best when fithing other MAs, but it will get the job done.

You are contadicting yourself from post to post. Before making statements about something you don't know, please try to achieve some knowledge. It's boring and annoying to have to deal with so many posts made by peopla that are assuming things and present their thoughts as general rules. It's a forum for information not desinformation :)

Good luck in your attempt to become a martial artist :)

Well it's just, it's not a complete martial art

and karate is? no.

But If you're even half good fighter, you would try to exploit their legs, and depending on what art you study you will probably be sucessful

i'll ask again, does karate spar with leg kicks?

Anyway karate shoudl be fine for street defense. It might not be the best when fithing other MAs, but it will get the job done.

You are contadicting yourself from post to post. Before making statements about something you don't know, please try to achieve some knowledge. It's boring and annoying to have to deal with so many posts made by peopla that are assuming things and present their thoughts as general rules. It's a forum for information not desinformation :)

Good luck in your attempt to become a martial artist :)

lol your talking to me about contradicting my post

But I'm really not a fan of boxing. That's why I decided to take karate. Had I given it a little more though, I might've done something else then karate. But that's what I took to begin with. The reason I don't like boxing is simply because there is no leg defense, or techniques. It's like just a completley unused factor of your body. I guess that's fine though sense now that kickboxing has come along it shoudl spark the revolution where some master of boxing re-creates the system.