• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A great form of Grappling...

You know, people are always talking about JJ and BJJ and Judo... but there is one form of combat that is grappling based that no one talks about.. and it is very very effective. Greco-Roman wrestling. Im not sure why no one pays respect to Greco Roman, I personally think its very awesome. The whole center of gravity they have, explosive moves.. and takedowns... is pretty dam good! tell me what you guys think about Greco Roman.

Nick D.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard about it. Althouth I hope someone would list a lot of grappling arts in here, I still can't find any schools around me.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

All I know is that I certainly wouldn't want to get Dan Severn angry! He's a greco-roman wrestler, and back in his day he used to toss guys around the ring like ragdolls.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Never heard about it. Althouth I hope someone would list a lot of grappling arts in here, I still can't find any schools around me.

It's the style of wrestling used in the olympics and is taught as a competition sport at the senior high and collegiate level.

um, Greco-Roman wrestling is awsome it's throws and takedowns are pretty mean but it lacks submissions,

wresltler+submission skills=a very dangerous fighter

many of todays top fighters are good wrestler with the skill to avoid submission.

without BJJ though look at severn vs gracie.

despite ther huge size diffrence royce was able to catch him in a triangle choke.

Greco Roman does have submissons. It has numerous ones, My friend use to put me in them all the time. Some of the ones I remember, that he used on me were the Octopus hold, the bow and arrow, and somekind of triangle hold (not the one that gracie did). In greco roman and freestyle you can win by pinning your opps shoulders to the mat for 1 second, or by making them tap. What do you think they are doing on the mat?? Sure they are jocking for power, but they are putting submissons on and teh other guy counters the submisson or wiggles out of it (greco roman teaches you to escape holds and what have you). As for severn and gracie, Severn probably underestimated gracie due to his large size and, Severn, even though in his younger years was a accomplished wrestler, turned more brutish like as he aged.

Nick D.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.