• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sports Karate

Anzie

That's what I do. I asked my sensei what kind of karate we do, and he answered that it's Sports Karate.

That means we're not doing any katas what so ever, and we train only for kumite (contests). Although this may sound a bit harsh, the teacher is very skilled and kind, and I learn alot from every class.

Have anyone else heard of this form of Karate? In that case, have any Japanese words on what style it may be? :karate:

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sport karate can be anything. The system you are studying should have a foundation in some "true" style. You should ask your instructor what style his background is. I trained for sport karate for many years and competed almost every weekend for many years but I still have my foundation in Kenpo and 'Tae Kwon Do. We trained for competitions at the school I was at (Straight Up Kicking) but the style was still based after Tae Kwon Do.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!