• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favourite kata

Tobias_Reece

Moobrak I know a version of all three of those kata. They are sometimes grouped together and called the "respect kata's" because of the hand position at the beginning of the katas.

Some of the legend behind them say they came from a temple in China. But, like many old traditional katas no one really knows for sure their origins.

Jion took me quite a while to learn. I kept forgetting what I had learned from class to class.

Although Jutte may be the easiest to learn there are many things that make it difficult to do well. The pivoting using the hip movements to generate power are very difficult to do well.

Jiin is kind of between the other 2 in difficulty I think. It's the kata you hate to be doing when sensei is stopping every other minute to make a correction or help someone out. It can feel like you've been in shiko dachi forever! I kind of like the way the pace changes in it though. How there are quick powerful moves and slower moves that help set mood.

My favorite breaking techinique is the hammerfist like it is done in Jiin.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for that Sai, helped me a lot.

I only know Ji'in out of the three respect kata's, and I find Ji'in easy to perform, but to perform well and get the speed of the techniques and movements in time with the power and stance change, I find quite challenging.I have used Jiin at a competition before, because of the above mistakes I managed to lose by 0.1 points, I also made a little mistake by doing a jodan Shuto Uke rather than a Manji Uke at the start!

Wont happen again, I know what I am doing now.

Nijushiho is a very very good kata for competitions, I like it because of the variety of moves and the direction changes it has. I also find it difficult to get the timing of the moves right with the stance changes and directional flow.The power I have no problem with.

I guess these things have to be ripped to pieces to see what I can do to be better.

C Ya guys

Sorry If I bored you, I have to tlak cos I am bored myself.

Bye

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

yes Jutte Jion and Jiin are of the same family of kata . I was told thy mean Jutte (ten hands or temple hands) Jion (temple sound ) Jiin (temple ground ) and all three start with the right fist covered by the left hand in front of you . To me Jiin was the hardest to learn the tempo is a little differetn from the other 2 also bassai starts simaliar at lest the version we do with the exception that you do not bring your fist from the side foward it starts with the fist already in front and then moves to the left side . but there i go running off on kata agin but hey i love them .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

The Tekkis (Nihanchi) are really good kata aswell lost of good bunkai in them . For me tekki ni and san I have a tempo proablem i cna run sho all out but i have to slow ni and san down a lot which is a good thing my sensei is always tellig me to slow down . But sometimes the kata jsut takes control of you . can anyone elese relate to this ?

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

• 4 weeks later...

My favourite Kata is Tekki Shodan, i think its because im new to Karate and that i enjoy this, but i have found it quite easy to do, my teacher said that once this Kata is mastered then other Katas will come easily.....I hope! :bawling:

just keep on trying! (or losing......)

Katas like the Kanku series, Unsu, Gojushiho series, Gankaku and Empi should not be practised until you have been training at least 15 years (solidly) other wise you tend to perform it looking like a duck whos come out of an oil slick.

The problem is today the Western Karate-Ka want all the advanced fancy looking stuff here and now, they have no patience.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing