• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favourite kata

Tobias_Reece

I said the Japanese names out of respect for ancient traditions. I am curious why Muay Thai doesn't have forms, they are usually found in many arts of unarmed combat around the world.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I really like the kata 'jiin' but get very little opertunity to perform it with home practice as an exception. I really find it good for comps since not many people know of it. it is a great demonstration of power and kimae(focus).

Thanx :up:

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

Hi All,

My fav Kata is Bassai dai Because it shows lots of power and its good for demonstrations and stuff.

C U L8R :karate:

Michael Bullock

1st Dan

Karate International

Black Belt Schools (UK)

(Modorator of Fitness & Health)

Bassai Dai is a very strong kata as it means:

To penetrate a fortress (Dai=major, Sho=minor.)

I like this kata too, I like strong katas.

"In combat know the enemys rhythm, use a rhythm he cannot anticipate, upset his rhythm, and win." Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

Oss!

Chris Pullan.

1st Dan Shotokan Karate. (KUGB)

Muay Thai doesn't have kata because its way of thinking is that kata is useless if you're learning to fight... It's the same with me, although i am doing a kata heavy martial art.

I'm doing Goju Ryu (only just started), and i like Taikyoku Gedan, it gives me a good workout in my legs and helps with my pivotting skills...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

My view on Kata is as follows: I like it.

I don't know how much help it is in real life fighting situations. Obviously directly very little, but at the same time, practicing your kata's helps refine basic techniques and is more fun than patrolling accross the room for half an hour, although probably not quite as much fun as actual sparring.

Also: when you look behind the different kata's they often have real fight meaning all over the place. Obviously you have to change the moves in a real fight or sparring session but I do think practicing them does help to improve your technique. You also tend to do things that aren't as dominent in the rest of training. Moves that you might never have come accross at all pop up in some of the early kata's. Which I like.

Watching people perform Kata is great as well, I know people will say something about Karate being a martial art not a dance or something but I am interested in the power individuals bring to the different Katas. I find it really interesting to watch, much more so than just repeating a technique over and over. This is probably kind of obvious what I'm saying, but I'm hitting submit anyway.

~The things you own - they end up owning you.

I haven't done any Bunkai yet (practical application of kata), but it's supposed to be very good. I just love sparring too much to say that kata is AS effective...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

My favorite kata is Bassai dai because it was the first one i saw one of my favourite People perform at full speed and i know most of the kata myself, its really good. the name also means something, storm of the dark castle, speaking of names, my favourite kata for the name (as Jim Reece knows) is WANKAN, i havent seen the kata yet but still.... :angel:

Angela Winter

orange belt, shotokan karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools UK

NEVER BE INTIMIDATED, NEVER GIVE UP NEVER BE DEFEATED.

you are what you are.

I did Kata for years when i was in Shotokan Karate.

I think its nice if you are in a system who use Kata to master them and more important to know the Bunkai, and find out what those moves means and how to use them.

As my old intructor Said.. " Kata is the File of all the Techniques of the style". lol

by the way, I never never ever liked the Tekki katas. lol :lol: