Tobias_Reece

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, since someone told me the "true definition of a kata". I'll tell you my favorite katas.

Jab, cross, hook is one.

Jab, cross, right kick is another.

Left kick, cross, hook, right kick.

Jab, cross, step-in right elbow, left elbow, up-knee and right kick is yet another.

Ok, that's enough kata talk for now.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

HAHAHAHA!! *Ken gives a lesson in bitching*...

My favourite, in Ken's definition, would be backleg roundhouse, same hand punch to head, opposite hand to ribs, 1st 'hand' elbow to head...

gotta love that kata! :lol:

But let's not try to have too many arguments guys. Apparently i have an ego from telling the truth and expressing my views. Well dang.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

I shared a school with a Shotokan stylist. Kerry Paulie from Portland Ore. I did not always agree with the shotokan approach to martial arts but the forms are without a doubt the most exciting in the business..

To my Muay Thai brother.

Fighting is not all there is to an art.

What of the Ram Muay?

Ram Muay isn't a kata, it's not a training method used to learn any fighting techniques. Ram Muay is merely a dance that is taught by particular schools to help warm up a fighter and sometimes even intimidate the other fighter. Each school has it's own signature Ram Muay. Also the Ram Muay pays tribute to those that have died in the battlefields of Siam, "god", parents and teachers. It is a dance of respect and tradition.

Some more "kata"

Footjab (stop kick) to rear leg roundhouse to the head.

Slip outside of cross, to uppercut, to clinch and knee to Poota Kapala throw, to armbar.

Stop kick to shin to Pak Sao, Lap Sao and armbar.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

With Ken's definition of Kata, I like the gedan kazami jodan kazami gaky tsuki, the double fake ushiro mawashi-geri, and grab the leg cross over the foot sweep punch manouver mastered by Ticky Donovan.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

You know all the cool words. You must be a master! Wow. Can you do the "Dragon swats fly with tail" techinique?

:brow:

That is the only way I can describe the techniques. Would you rather have me say front thrust punch with reverse punch and reverse roundhouse kick. Doesn't exactly have the same pzassz does it.

Oh, by the way, no I am not a master because I know the words, a white belt knows the words when they first learn, it is part of their yellow belt test.

Take it easy Ken!

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Thrust punch may not sound as cool, but at least I know what you are talking about now.