• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favourite kata

Tobias_Reece

smr, I'll try to guess what style you practise, is it Wado-Ryu?

Because, in Wado-Ryu, there aren't so effective katas like in Shito-Ryu. It's difficult to do Wado-Ryu katas at the competitions.

Kill is love

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I was just wondering what everybodys favourite kata is. Personally, I quite like Jion and Jitte, as they as simple, yet powerful. I think Gankaku is also fun to perform.]

My favorite katas are: Shorin-ryu's Nahainchi I and Seisan.

Least favorite: Naihanchi II and Uechi-ryu's Sanchin(hurts my shoulders)

my favourites are Empi (how cool is the jump!), Kankudai (and that bit on the ground!), Seinchin makes me feel like I'm in some sort of martial art move belting people in the head then groin. Bassai dai is cool it took me ages to get my kokutsa(spelling) dachu right when I was learning it.

Saifa is a great early on kata. What's that kata that sounds like the word seizer? (even though seizer is the bit where you go on the ground) its awesome

and what's that one with all those backfists towards the beginning?

I like sepai too especially that double ground punch.

ps that site that had the shotokan videos...

our bassai dai is different to yours

our greeting is at the top, plus alot of our timing is different

that was mostly similar speed all the way through, we do alot of the stuff he did slow fast (in particular the back leaning stance knife hand blocks) and he drop his left shoulder when doing the double punch the jodan tsuki and the short punch (shute tsuki? not sure of the spelling) whereas we keep our shoulders back, and I always thought the bit after that part where the person steps through 180 and does the gedan burai that converts into a uchi uke - the move after the gedan burai looked like a fist forward rather than a block.

I guess it's different across styles. The empi looks exactly the same though.

As far as ones that I've done so far (I've only been training 1.5 years), that my favorite would have to be Gekisai Dai San.

Or Sanchin, for the mind-body thing. You feel so invigorated after doing a good Sanchin session.

As far as ones I like to watch, probably Suparenpei. Can't wait to learn that one.