• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and Character

Grunt

OK,

I hear a lot of talk about how Karate has the potential to improve ones character. Regarding this I was hoping folks would elaborate on their personal thoughts and experiences. For example:

1) Why does participating in Karate impact an individual's character?

2) Specifically, what improvements in character have you experienced personally?

3) Do you feel this is exclusive to Karate (as opposed to other styles, sports, life experiences, etc.)?

Thanks!

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it seems pretty obvious to me. What it would mostly impact would be confidence, self-esteem, and satisfaction with oneself. Atlest that's what the ad in the yellow pages said.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Agreed, but this isn't always the case. We like to sell people self confidence, discipline and character but in my opinion only a relative few people actually ever experience any of these benefits who study martial arts. Most quit before they can achieve any degree of greater self confidence. I don't personally believe karate is going to give you discipline or improve your character by itself. If your character improves or you become more disciplined it is because you worked for it, not because you wear a black belt. So I think the same results can be acheived no matter what activity you do, karate, music, sports or acedemics

Wow, what a lame thread! LOL. 28+ views and only two comments? Sheesh!

I don't personally believe karate is going to give you discipline or improve your character by itself. If your character improves or you become more disciplined it is because you worked for it, not because you wear a black belt. So I think the same results can be acheived no matter what activity you do, karate, music, sports or acedemics

Thanks smr. In general, this is my opinion as well. But, I hear/read a lot about how Karate is "more than self-defense" and how it changes you as a person. I was just hoping the folks that believe this would comment on it. Buuuuuutttt, I guess few really do believe this and it's all just a bunch of talk.

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

IMO any activity that challenges the boundaries of any individual’s mental or physical comfort zone would be both character building and rewarding on some level.

Karate (or any martial art) is loaded with various misconceptions for the uninitiated unlike other challenging activities (like sport, or music, etc).

I suppose people start training in the martial arts with images of Bruce Lee in their head, or pick up the guitar to play like Jimi Hendrix, a cross between guiding star and willow’o’wisp for many.

When someone does get exposed to the real and multifaceted activity so many various and valid labels can be applied that would make the experience a revelation.

I do not think karate is more life affirming or character building then any other challenging activity, it simply happens to be one “real multifaceted activity” that I have discovered for myself.

I do think that karate should always be focused on its self defence roots (like learning how to fly is focused on piloting aircraft). However it’s not the destination (being able to defend yourself) that is important, rather the scenic journey and serendipity of self-knowledge along the way.

On a personal level karate training has made me more patient, accepting and philosophical in my life.

PS: the word for today is serendipity :)

Some misconceptions and a bit of truth.

Karate helps with self-confidence (so does any sport that teaches the person to pass his limitations and to become better in everything he does). Being in front of the others (at gradings, competitions and dojo training) helps them become more relaxed in front od "crowds" and some timid persons became confident and turned into quite popular persons. The permanent "quest" in finding the limits and breaking them allows a person to excel and so become again confident. The activity in Karate, done to achieve a perfect techniqe improves concentration, beneficial again. The disciplin and auto-discipline together with learning to concentrate at the tack at hand is again a point won by the student in dojo and his everyday life. The list could go on and on.

Interaction with others helps in the social life, the body benefits from the workout ...

About perfecting characters ... hmm I doubt one could become a better person by taking Karate. I've seen jerks who are BB and I've seen some very decent people. One could be a great person and not be involved in MA. You are a good person or not. It's not Karate's fault some become monsters :karate:

From my experiences in the dojo:

Self confidence - I have seen some of the shyest and most out of shape kids achieve success in something that is structured so that they learn one skill at a time. They then leave class and carry their new found confidence with them.

Concentration - I have seen kids with 2 minute attention spans have to pay attention to learn a technique or learn a kata. They go to school with their increased attention span and their grades improve.

Honesty - you cannot fake your way through karate. Come test time it is obvious that you either know it or you don't excuses not accepted.

Self control - After many break the first board and realize how much power they do have they think twice when they began to become angry and are much less likely to strike out in anger.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? There is so much more than just these few examples that follow along with character improvement.

The 2 go hand in hand. Karate unlike other MA is based on the idea of no first attack. Meaning you are always being good. LOL. The training alone from bowing to the dojo to saying the dojo Kun, to cleaning the floor after class etc. Karate is much like any religon with no GOD figure. Its a code of how to live and act teaching morals and values.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Karate is much like any religon with no GOD figure.

So, say more like a philosophy of life than a religion. I don't presume to know much of anything about Tao, but I have heard it said that many serious karate students tend towards a Taoist approach of their art and life in general.

Again, I'm not saying karate students = Taoists. But for what it's worth, here's a quote that speaks to the way I feel when somebody tries to make me spell out the exact non-physical benefits of my training.

"...When Tao is talked about, the words can seem bland and flavorless.

Looked at, it may not catch the eye.

Listened to, it might not seduce the ear.

Used, it can never be exhausted."

-The Tao Te Ching, as translated by Brian Brown Walker