• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Regarding your Gi

hobz

I have recently signed up for GoJu Ryu here in my Town, and I have received my Gi. Now it's quite long, and Sensei said it would be long and I am just curious, how far should i hem the legs to? and the arms? Just dont wanna destroy it cause it was expensive :P

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that you are suposed to hem it to the wrist on the sleeves and just above the ankle on the heels. Don't rely too much on my advice though because well for one i'm and idiot and two i haven't started karate yet. BTW how is that goju ryu going for ya? I'm still undecided between shudokan and goju ryu.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Since we're on the subject...

I just got a black gi, I've always had white ones before, and I'm afraid I'm going to turn it grey. It's pure cotton. So far I've soaked it in vinegar as the manufacturer suggested and washed it by itself in cold water. It seems like its already getting some lighter spots! Are there any secrets to keeping a black gi black longer?

Karateka traditionally have the trousers half way between the ankle and knee. And the the sleeves half way between the wrist and elbow. But dont cut it to short, as the more you wash it, it will get smaller.

:)

Kensai's right, wash & dry it at least 4 or 5 times before doing any hemming, all the ones I've gotten shrank a LOT. If you hem it up to 3/4 length before making sure it's done shrinking, you're going find yourself training in knickers.

Check with your sensei before you do anything!

As for how to keep a black gi black, other than never wearing it I don't know what to tell you.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Since we're on the subject...

I just got a black gi, I've always had white ones before, and I'm afraid I'm going to turn it grey. It's pure cotton. So far I've soaked it in vinegar as the manufacturer suggested and washed it by itself in cold water. It seems like its already getting some lighter spots! Are there any secrets to keeping a black gi black longer?

I just recently bought a Macho heavywt. black gi and washed it. So far the color has held as some of my other black gi's. Sometimes it has to do with the quality of the gi and it's black dye. At least in my opinion. Otherwise in time it'll keep fading until it goes gray. What brand gi is yours out of curiosity?

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

For reference purposes here is the section from the WKF rules on how the gi should be fitted and hemmed.

CONTESTANTS

1. Contestants must wear a white unmarked karate gi without stripes or piping. Only the national emblem or flag of the country may be worn. This must be on the left breast of the jacket and may not exceed an overall size of ten centimetres square, (100mm by 100mm). Only the original manufacturer’s labels may be displayed on the gi. They must be in the normally accepted locations i.e. the bottom right corner of the gi jacket and waist position on the trousers. In addition, an identifying number issued by the Organising Committee may be worn on the back. One contestant must wear a red belt and the other a blue belt. The red and blue belts must be around five centimetres wide and of a length sufficient to allow fifteen centimetres free on each side of the knot.

2. Notwithstanding paragraph 1 above, the Directing Committee may authorise the display of special labels or trademarks of approved sponsors.

3. The jacket, when tightened around the waist with the belt, must be of a minimum length that covers the hips, but must not be more than three-quarters thigh length. Female competitors may wear a plain white T-shirt beneath the Karate jacket.

4. The maximum length of the jacket sleeves must be no longer then the bend of the wrist and no shorter than halfway down the forearm. Jacket sleeves may not be rolled up.

5. The trousers must be long enough to cover at least two thirds of the shin and may not be rolled up.

This is for official competion. These rules date 2000.