• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few Quick Questions

Ok, i probably should know these, but I don't. So...

What exactly is a karate ki?

Why is it that some instructors and black belts have on a belt that appears to sometimes be falling apart, like the edges especially are fading away, or almost chipping off the blackness of the belt?

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Not to sure on the karate ki because I dont do karate, but the fading of the black belt is just wear and tear, they can sometimes be really old.

White Belt - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

To put it in easy terms, Ki (or chi) is the energy you put into your techniques that originates from inside you. It takes a while to learn how to use it. :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Belts that look torn apart are a sign of hard work and looong training. My instructor has a black belt that is over 20 years old and in pretty raggy condition. It's pretty impressive. However, this isn't the belt he wears all the time...if he did, it would be a pile of dust by now!

Also, I believe there is some symbolic significance to the fading of the belt...it gradually goes from black to white, and the martial artist is starting over again, to the beginning of a new journey? Not too clear on that.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

lol no i'm not talking about a gi. that's just the uniform. i know thatt. I just hear people say on this forum things like "a KarateKi could do so and so...." or somnething like that. That's what i'm tlaking about.

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

Well karate ki my best guess is karate but trainign to use ki in combat. The taddered belets, either they're very old and have been throuhg many training sessions or the teachers ordered them pre-torn for that extra special look.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

i don't think the fading away of the belt looks very nice. it needs to be retired if it that old. i saw a man with one that was white/grey and i thought it looked rather dirty and disrespectful. just my thought.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt