• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You think his prices are too high?

BKJ1216

Well I recently called the goju school in my area to see how much it costs. To make story shot i tried to convince him every way I could to tell me how much it costs, but all he would say is that i should see the classes before I judge. You guys think they're expensive? I told the guy that I can't go above 50 a month, and he still woudln't tell me, woudln't even tell me if it was above or below that.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmm, hard to say. He could just be trying to pull a marketing thing you you; "It's worth it no matter what the cost..." On the other hand he may just want you to make a choice based purely on what you observe. In other words, he wants your choice to based on a true desire for the dojo/style than on finacial reasons. Again, it's hard to say and frankly, there could be other reasons beside those two.

My advice is to go check it out. What could you possibly have to lose? You like it and it's within your price range. Great! If you don't like it or it falls outside of your range, that's OK. Walk away with yet another experience to recall. It's just an hours worth of your time.

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

I think the guy is a crook. A martial arts school that charges money is a business. No respectable business would withold prices from it's customers. He is trying to get you to come in, because it is far more dificult for most to say no to a salesperson while you're in person.

The Dojo I attend just upped its fees charging $80+ dollars a month. With over 400 stuedents, that works out to $32,000 per month and $384,000 per year. Quite a business but a lot of people are quitting because it is too pricey. He may just price himself out of business.

Black Belt is a way of life

• 3 weeks later...

You have the reality of limiting yourself to $50 per month for training. It is important to stick to this limit since if you cannot meet the obligation of more in training membership you will probably not stay for long. Therefore undermining your training goals.

There are those of us who believe that it is your interest and committment to studying the martial arts that is the greatest expense. I would prefer a student who has persistence and committment to one who feels that the cost is the greatest committment.

"Persistence outweighs natural ability."

"If we were interested in using brute force alone it would not be karate."

I pay 55 per month Canadian. There is a local club that charges 82.50 and makes you sign a year contract, so relatively speaking I'm doing alright.

Not telling you the price over the phone is straight out of the training manual for selling memberships. I remember reading the franchise manual for the club I used to work for - it was stressed NEVER give out the price over the phone. Whether you blame the guy for following the rules is up to you; the club I read that particular manual in was excellent, with top notch instruction, so it doesn't always point to something sinister. Like many other businesses (and it really isn't a crime to have a martial arts business, in my opinion), sometimes a really excellent martial artist just needs a little help in the business department (I've heard over and over, I'm a carpenter, mechanic, etc not a businessman), and will follow the "rules" they've been taught to the letter.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse