• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be honest...

People always say that TKD cant be used in street situations.... I dont understand. I mean, sure, if your going to try and kick people in the head the whole time, its not practical. However, if you fight the way our instructor teaches us, and kick in the midsection, and legs.. Im not sure how it would not help you? Especially if you have trained to teh point where you have lots of torque and power in your kicks... I would hate for my instructor to kick me, with shoes on, no pads, man.... that would hurt lol. If you were to condition your shins and feet.... you would do some serious damage.

Nick D.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said this before, but here it is again:

In the real world, Martial Arts will only be effective when it becomes a reaction not an action.

Meaning: When you don't have to think about what you are doing to defend yourself, and you just defend, then you cannot be so easily taken down.

Fury

~Traing in Songham TaeKwonDo since 2001~

Fury"]I have said this before, but here it is again:

In the real world, Martial Arts will only be effective when it becomes a reaction not an action.

Meaning: When you don't have to think about what you are doing to defend yourself, and you just defend, then you cannot be so easily taken down.

Fury

Well said, you should be well past trying to wait for openings. They happen and those quick reflexes take effect.

when you spar, do you spar with leg kicks? do you do alot of high kicks?

i think TKD has alot of flashy stuff that would not work in a real fight, if thats what you use when you spar then you ae not getting good at the techniques you would use.

When we spar... we focus on the speed and accuracy of out attacks, not the power within them. We also throw rapid kicks with our front leg, ending with punches, moving away with "front leg" kicks. If the opponent is slow to react, a quick #1 (front foot) kick followed by a inner crescent to a reverse side kick is very effective. I have done this (in class only) and when done quick enough it gives you plenty of breathing room, especially if you make contact with the techniques.

Fury

~Traing in Songham TaeKwonDo since 2001~

Our instructor teaches us how to use the flashy stuff only so we can make rank. He also encourages us sometimes to use some high kick stuff and roundhouses, so the students can get a feel for it. For the most part, he teaches us to kick with speed,power, and torque. He mostly teaches us to use kicks into the mid-section,chest, and throat. He tells us to use the highh kicks only as finishers... for example, if you keep kicking the guy in his mid section taking away his air, he will start to lean more towards guarding his body.. which will leave his head available for a nice well placed turning spin kick, round house kick, jumping crescent kick, etc etc :D

He will also get mad, when students spar, if they dont follow up kicks with punch combos sometimes... he says doing to many kicks, will make you predictable, so by punching, you will throw your opp off a little bit.

Nick D.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Dune.

he says doing to many kicks, will make you predictable, so by punching, you will throw your opp off a little bit.

where do you throw the punches too?

Most of our punches are thrown into the mid section (to wind your opp)followed up by a elbow strike to the head, or a knife edge chop to the throat. Now, understand, when we throw an elbow at someone, sparring, we dont do it as hard as we can, as we dont want to really hurt our teammates.

"I will not fear...

Dune.

Yes, it's unfortunate that during training in class, we can't do a "no-holds barred" type of fighting on another person. This type of training would definitely be good preparation for a street fight, but then again...I don't want to go home with a massive headache. So, we have to be content with elbow striking on the big muay thai hand shields. ;)

While I may not practice your art, you MT guys have some awesome hand targets :P

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

at my dojang, we do what i would consider full-contact sparring. i wouldn't call it "no-holds-barred" since eye gouging isn't really something that we'd want to do to one another, but i think it's pretty effective. we also sometimes double- and triple-team each other to get a feel for fighting multiple opponents, and have free-for-alls where the whole class splits into teams and fights. we're always encouraged to throw our fancier kicks if we have the opportunity, but generally the way to win is to keep them low and follow through with good punching combos.

i'm not sure why TKD gets picked on so much either... if you have a good school and good instructors, you can learn to adapt any of the techniques to street fighting.