• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is it bad if...

is it bad if there's a martial art center that teaches a bunch of arts? i mean, they don't mix it up together, but they teach it in serperate classes. for example, this martial art center that is 8 minutes away from my place teaches tai chi, modern arnis, kickboxing, shorin ryu karate, kobudo, and yoga plus has a weight training room. it teaches all the arts serperately and you get to choose which class you want to take but could it possibly mean that this place is phoney since it has so many options it could just be trying to make money?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
dpends, there are martial art centers that offer several styles thent hats fine..but if it is like one or two guys claiming to teach all of these stlyes i would be a little suspicious.

My sifu/guro/master, teaches 8 classes maybe 9 but he has all the credentials on his walls, and hes friends with erik paulson and dan inosanto, so im not worried,about wether hes a fake.

you have to ask alot of questions though about everything.

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

My dojang teaches 4 styles (I think). Tae Kwon Do, Kali, Japanese Archery, and Kickboxing. My instructor teaches Kali, archery, and TKD. But he showed me all his credentials, even pics today. He didn't hide anything. So, I'm not worried about him being a fake.

If they don't have "proof" they CAN teach those styles, then they maybe fake. If there is several instructors there, that maybe ok, too.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

I would. Eventhough I didn't have to ask my new instructor for his. He just started talking about his training, where he trains, and who trains him. He went in the office and brought out his stuff. Most places have their certs on the wall, but he didn't (because of a recent remodel of the dojang). But he just showed them to me without asking :)

I found out he doesn't teach the archery. He is still just a student himself.

Laurie F

With a set-up like that they are out to make money but that doesn't mean they are phoney. If you like the instructors and can afford it then go for it. You have to be in deceint sized city to have a place like that which means that you have options.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Maybe it's several different instructors just trying to make use of the space. Most dojos probably spend a lot of time not being used so it would make sense to have several people using the facility. If there are different instructors for the classes I wouldn't worry, but if the same instructors teach all the classes I would think that was a little strange. Do they want you to sign a contract? If not you could just sign up for a month and see what you think. I would never sign a contract, usually it's a bad sign if the want you to do that, if they have to force people to pay even after they dicide they don't like training there, I wouldn't trust the place. They don't have to provide quality instruction if you don't have the option of quiting.

I know of a dojo that teaches many different styles, and they are all seperate classes. This dojo even has several of the classes going on at once, in different sections of the building, somewhere around 6 at once. But that's a very large dojo with a huge student base that can handle it.

Each class has its own, seperate expert instructor, so it's not one man trying to teach them all.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.