• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all,aikido is very combat effective.athough it is a very indepth system of M/A,it was devolped Morihei Uyeshiba who studied under Tekada Sokaku,who started his training in daito ryu aikijujutsu in 1863.he was born and raised a samurai.Uyeshiba trained with this man in daitoryu aikijujutsu until he got his instructors licsenseand founded his own system,aikido ''way of harmony''.every technique in aikido is effective,maybe the person learning just doesnt have the mantality to use it in a confrontation.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if aikido wasnt effective the japanese riot squad wouldnt be training it

Maybe they have them train in it so they dont have to worry about lawsuits from them hurting people :D

"an" atemi is refeered as beeing a punch.

atemi training is training with your fists.

Be everything. Be nothing.

I've always learnt atemi as a strike - not necessarily with a fist. It could be with the blade of the hand, an open palm strike, a kick, an elbow, forearm... ;p. They're usually just used to place the opponent off balance, either to ease the technique or to set up for one.

In addendum to my last post, it usually is a punch or tegatana strike where aikido techniques are concerned, but from what I've been taught, 'atemi' refers to a strike of any type.

Also, Steven Seagal's aikido actually looks better - at least, in my opinion - off the cinema screen and in his old black and white training videos, when he was running his dojo in Japan. Younger and more powerful in his technique then, I think.

As for fighting tournaments - aikido doesn't lend itself well to competition. True, there are two 'sub-styles' of aikido (Tomiki/Shodokan) that practice randori with an unarmed aikidoka against another aikidoka wielding a foam rubber tanto (knife), but this isn't mainstream to most aikido styles. Most aikidoka simply don't go in for fighting competitions. In addition, given how long it can take (dependant upon learning speed of a given practicioner, of course, as with any art) to be 'effective' in aikido, then I don't find it surprising that there are few aikidoka fighting in tournaments. Lastly, most aikido techniques rely on solid intent - that is, intent to harm. It'd probably be easier to apply a technique on someone gunning for you completely than on someone in a fighting arena, where everyone knows they'll be alive and recuperating afterward.

Atemi, in Aikido, are not the same as that in Karatedo. Karatedo practioners use Atemi to effect the attackers structure, ie breaking noses and ribs and stuff, although well placed Aikido atemi do have this effect, primarily they are used to disrupt the attackers balance so setting them up for a throw or a lock. Atemi strickly means "to strike" the hand, fore arm, elbow, knee or foot....etc is Atemi.

As for competitions, free style randori was adopted at some point in the 1950's however, due the huge number of injures no one would insure the competitions because of the amount of pay outs they had to make. So Tomiki type randori was created to allow Aikidoka to play safely.

Hope this helps.