• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have two questions about combat effective Aikido.

One, I have heard that it takes up to ten years of Aikido training to be able to use it in a fight. Is that true, how long does it take (average) before you can use it?

Two, is there anyone on the forum that has used Aikido in a fight? How did it work and what happened?

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One, I have heard that it takes up to ten years of Aikido training to be able to use it in a fight. Is that true, how long does it take (average) before you can use it?"

Depends on how hard you train, but I would agree that it takes MUCH longer than most other TMA and MMA. It also depends on the style, I would say that the time taken in Yoshinkan, Shodokan and Yoseikan would probably be shorter to getting to a level of combat readiness, than Shin shin toitsu (ki) and aikikai Aikido.

"Two, is there anyone on the forum that has used Aikido in a fight? How did it work and what happened?"

Cant answer this one, as I have never been in a real fight. Although I have done some NHB type sparring, but thats not the same. :karate:

Two, is there anyone on the forum that has used Aikido in a fight? How did it work and what happened?

a friend of mine was telling em a stroy a few nights ago about getting beat up after 2 years of akido...after the fight he asked his instructor what he should do when someone was punching him instead of grabbing him..he replied "Dont get into a boxing match witha boxer..i think that was the end of his aikido training :)

I guess I will have to ask the local Aikido instructor what kind of akido he teaches.

What is NHB sparring?

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"Dont get into a boxing match with a boxer"

I think the meaning of that phrase is to not let the other person force you to play their game... force them to play yours. Though I don't quite understand the usage of it in that case.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

I used to take Kung fu that did a mix of striking/kicking, some locking and some grapping, that was a few years ago.

I have recently decided to get back into it, but had a hard time finding any one school that gives a cross training of the three. Either they area a Judo school using just throws, or they are a TKD school only doing Kicking/Striking, no cross training to give a wider variety in my toolbox.

Finally I found a guy that teaches three flavors(Aikido for the locking, Japanese Jui-Jitsu for grappling/throwing and more severe locking and what he calls Tetsu Hei, which is his flavor of a MMA). His MMA will include striking and kicking, but apparently very specific striking and kicking, not as much as a Karate or TKD art would be. So, it should be interesting. I have just started and we are still working on some basic locks, with much much much more to come.

Basically, I don't want to be in the prediciment of the earlier poster, hopefully to be able to handle(eventually) a broader range of kinds of attacks, be it a striker or a wrestler or whatever.

Kung Fu - Orange Sash *Last attended 1998

Tetsu Hei(MMA) - White Belt

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

although i do a lot of aikido i am a newbie in it (6 months) but i have used it succesfully in a fight, but this was only cause i wasnt frightend and knew what to do.

Be everything. Be nothing.