• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone here train in wushu schools or practice wushu?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Modern wushu is for show. Although it takes incredible flexibility and endurance, the energies are devoted to acrobatics and extreme moves.

There is also a sanshou component even these competitors need talent in forms to qualify for a team.

The word Wu Shu means.

Wu = War

Shu = Art

Wu Shu = War Art

But Wu Shu is usually the showy acrobatic flips and kicks that have no real combat effectiveness.

Jet Li, Jackie Chan,and Sammo Hung all do Wu Shu.

kung fu = Means skill in

anyone can have kung fu in running,flying a kite,etc.........

The words have gotten twisted over the yrs ,but Chinese martial arts for combat are usually called Kung fu and the flashy non combat stuff is known as Wu Shu.

jeff :)

The Basics Are The Hidden Secret To Kung Fu Master The Basics.

Well there is contemporary ''modern'' wushu and traditional wushu,modern wushu is oriented more to forms and for show.as for traditional wushu,like shaolin ,its oriented to self defense and fighting.Jet li practices modern wushu only for preformance.he's not related to actual fighting.

Dragonseeker,

To finnish my answer to your question.

I have also studied Wu Shu for awhile back in the late 80's.I stopped because it's not what i was looking for.I was looking for a kung fu school in New York and i came across this school that i thought was a kung fu school ,but it turned out to be a modern wu shu school.

Don't get me wrong alot goes into wu shu the training is very hard ,and takes a very strong person to stick with it.I'm into combat applications not flashy tournament forms.

jeff :)

The Basics Are The Hidden Secret To Kung Fu Master The Basics.