• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could it be possible...

What on earth are you talking about thaiboxerken?

Karate as ALWAYS dictated that you use your hip extension in a front kick.

Its quite obious to veyone here that you are not or have ever been a serious karate student.

I have every respect for jeet kun do practictioners but if you are really a student of Mr Inosanto then you are not listening to him very well. I am sure that he does not share your views about my way is the best way!

Get a life Ken, Get real, Get KARATE

There is always a defence to ANY kick or punch but its only as good or as useful as the person delivering it

karateronin is the Chief Instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools UK.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Karate as ALWAYS dictated that you use your hip extension in a front kick. "

I agree.. I didn't say that they didn't use the hips. Well.. many of the McDojo karate schools here don't, but good karate does.

I didn't say anything about karate people not using the hips in this thread, did I?

As for the effectiveness of the front-kick. It's can be great. It's one kick I use for a counter-defense to keep people away, and not so much to knock people around. The round kick is more effective, in my opinion, and it's just apparent from seeing in almost all forms of martial art competition. The front kick rarely KO's a person, but the round kick does often. Each are tools for a purpose. I use the front kick as a stop-kick to keep a person away, or to set them off-balance for a real power kick.

"Get a life Ken, Get real, Get KARATE"

I have a very good life, thank you. My training is as real as it gets without injuring people all the time. And I don't like Karate in general, but that doesn't mean it's not good. I have never been a serious Karate student, and I really don't see that I will be. But I train in several martial arts that I feel are more effective compared to the McDojo Karate I see throughout the USA.

I don't think I ever said that my way is the best way. But I'll tell you this, it's the best way for ME right now, but I'm always learning and always will. Maybe I'll find a "real" karate instructor that will peak my interest in it, but so far, that hasn't happened.

Keep training, and keep it real.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Maybe the front kick was more effective because your hips are inline with eachother when you make contact.On a roundhouse kick your hips are inline but to the side of the kick and cannot thrust the leg out as much as the front kick.

This is only my opinion, It is not necessarily true

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

On 2001-08-29 23:19, thaiboxerken wrote:

My training is as real as it gets without injuring people all the time.

Ken, who said you have to injure people for karate to be real? karate is NOT about injuring people, its about learning how to protect yourself against people who try to injure YOU, not about how much damage you can do to someone else!!!!

and as for being a serious student, whats the point in training if you dont take it seriously!!!!

you can only be a true student if you are dedicated to what you are learning, dont just learn to show off to other people!!!.

A Serious martial arts student

Ang

:angel:

Angela Winter

orange belt, shotokan karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools UK

NEVER BE INTIMIDATED, NEVER GIVE UP NEVER BE DEFEATED.

you are what you are.

I have done kickboxing before. I found it quite modern. What really peaked me on Karate was the hidden power in some techniques. When they first practiced it many years ago, they practiced ippon techniques. Ippon techniques meaning one punch or point. Mas Oyama was the best at ippon techniques. This is kind of graphic but he used to practice on bulls, doing a knife hand block on their horns to break them off or one punching their head to try and kill them. He got it down to perfection.

Fortunately he is dead now, and all the animals of the forest are safe. It gave me that hold because their was so much power in techniques that I didn't learn in kickboxing. Maybe it was just my teacher in kickboxing, but I feel that Karate is the best for me.

Ken: I love Happy Gilmore, "it's all in the hips"

As for the best kick, I have always liked the Sokoto or side kick (Sokoto really means sword edge kick). It is a nice and powerful kick and even in Kumite, when you;ve been hit, you've been hit.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Hi Ang,

In Karate, the student learns to control kicks and punches (which is one of the things that I find really appealing), though you do get the odd person who will try to hurt you. More often than not it's a beginner. :grin:

Best Wishes

Darryl Garrick

9th Kyu Shotokan Karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

[ This Message was edited by: Goose on 2001-08-30 11:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Goose on 2001-08-30 11:27 ]

Goose

6th Kyu Shotokan Karate

9th Kyu Okinawan Kobudo

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

I don't think I ever said that Karateka injure each other in training or anything to that extent. We train serious, but we also keep it fun. I can't stand the military type of training that many "dojo's" want. It's not as productive as training that is fun.

Valn: Karate is a complete martial art.. kickboxing is just a set of rules and a competition. Muay Thai is a complete martial art also, but does have a set of rules in the ring. Outside of the ring, there are many aspects to Muay Thai and techniques that are taught that are illegal in the ring.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.