• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WHat is your favourite technique?

NinjaMaster

"Games like tag are played with the feet by kids and not with hands"

Really? Wow. That's strange to hear. Really interesting.

Shuto Uke (at least in Wado-Ryu) is a knifehand block. To do a full (kata callibur) block, open your blocking hand and place it above your opposite shoulder palm facing your ear. Your other arm is extended straight forward. Then shoot accross and forward with your blocking hand, blocking with the outside ridge of the hand and twisting the wrist at the last instant. The other hand is retracted and traditionally rests on the solar plexis.

Of course the technique can be performed to varying degrees of "completeness". In reality probably about half of the motion is performed, with most of the power coming from a snap of the wrist.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference in Shuto uke between the styles, Martial Girl?

Anyways, I'm fond of lead leg kicks - front, side, roundhouse, it's all good. I have really long legs. :karate:

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, there is a little difference.

Don't you think that Wado-Ryus Shuto Uke and Shito-Ryus Shuto Uke are a bit different because of the stance and because of where the hand is when you do that block?

In Shito-Ryu, Shuto Uke is a block, but you should do it as an attack, ...I haven't heard that in Wado-Ryu...

Kill is love

In my style of shorin ryu karate, a shuto uke is a knifehand block. It would be performed exactly as Doktervet had explained. I however don't see the significance in the wrist snap that everyone vouches for, including my instructor. Certianly, a wrist snap makes your technique appear faster and more visually appealing in kata, but it doesn't add any real power. The real power is coming from your arm, shoulder, torso, hips, legs and body momentum. Without any of that you'd just be flicking your wrist.

There really aren't differences in shuto's from style to style.

On the contrary, in my experience if I went to a Wado-Ryu school and asked for a Shuto-uke, I would see a technique I would call Kaisho Haiwan Uke - as seen in the kata Kanku-dai

(Oh, and Kensai, you are confusing Shuto with Soto. No biggie)

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Tobias, what is a Kaisho Haiwan Uke? Is that what I described, or something different?

*mArTiAl_GiRl*,

Any block or strike can be done in any stance, so that's not really important. In my Wado-Ryu club, we would use that technique as either a block or an attack with slight modifications. The name changes, but I've never been good at remembering the japanese terms.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

DokterVet

Kaisho means open hand, whilst Haiwan Uke is a high level block.

Its hard to describe, but look for the opening moves in Kanku-dai, and you shall see.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Well, in Wado-Ryu, shuto uke is done a bit higher, but in Shito-Ryu, it is done a bit lower, and they do it as an attack into the middle of the body.

When I do Shito-Ryus shuto uke, then I can just do it faster, but when I do Wado-Ryus shuto uke, then I have to do it with power, so that it can also be like an attack. That's just what I have noticed when I try this block in different styles.

This Wado-Ryus shuto uke really is like Kaisho Haiwan uke, because it is an high block, but Shito-ryus is low.

Kill is love

our shuto uke is the same as the one in bassai dai

we generally practice it doing back leaning (kokutsu dachi)

i've never really used it in sparring though as it's a pretty close range block and i usually hold my guard out pretty far.

My favourite is doing kake uke on an incoming punch moving outside of the punch stepping in and backfisting the nose followed by a reverse punch to the ribs and then a front kick to push them away.