• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pragmatism of chi sau?

I've been lingering about on these boards for a while now, but this is my first post. So, hey all. :)

What do you guys think about Wing Chun's sticky hand techniques in terms of practicality? This friend of mine wants me to take some classes with him, but from what I've seen of Wing Chun, it doesn't look like it works very well unless the other guy attacks pretty much how you want him to, which isn't very realistic. If someone's really pi$$ed off and determined to hurt you, are trapping techniques really all that effective when they come in swinging?

I live in Prescott, and there are a number of martial arts classes available here. I think Muay Thai kickboxing looks like a simple, effective, and competitive style better suited to take advantage of muscle and height, compared to some of these more defensive kung fu styles. Of course, I could be wrong, which is why I wanted to get some "expert" advise. :D Does Wing Chun work in realistic fighting situations?

"Well, I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of ancient culture and... kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill!"

- Pvt. Joker, Full Metal Jacket

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If someone's really pi$$ed off and determined to hurt you, are trapping techniques really all that effective when they come in swinging?

exactly, trapping looses it's effectiveness when someone wants to take your head off.

Muay thai and WC have had challenge matches across the world throught the last 50 years...MT has always dominated WC, usually in a very bad way.

I will leave it at that.

I have to disagree with you on that one. It is impossible to say that one particular art is better than another, one person's criticism often stems from a lack of understanding (no fault of their own).

WC is not just about trapping and is an extremely versatile art, we train in sensitivity to be able to adapt to situations where someone may be absolutley raving mad and so forth.

It is terribly narrow minded to say that muay thai overwhelms wing chun, and if you say that I am biased I will be annoyed. Anyways one of the first martial arts I started was muay thai.

Chi sau is an extremely efficient method to learn techniques in close quarter combat, however it is not a direct application to fighting. It is more a laboratory to gain knowledge, we use it to train sensitivity so that we can "read" an opponent's actions and develop a reaction that does not need conscience thought.

Any wing chun practiotioner who tries to use only chi sau in a fight is stupid. as for trapping someone who can't be trapped, a WC practitioner would quickly come to the conclusion that it is pointless. Another tactic would be employed.

Hope this has helped, and I would like to add that I don't want to start a flame war....I just don't like anyone disrespecting other MA's.

I was not disrespecting Any MA I stated the fact that Muay Thai Has always beaten WC in challenge matches dating back to the 70's.

Muay thai has also been the training meathod of just about every top fighter in todays scene.

take that however you want.

TJS... I would love for you to provide me a resource for the claims that you are making about Wing Chun and Muay Thai. Or Prehaps a site to look under or maybe some names. Or perhaps a physical demonstration ?

Very Respectully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

Sorry but this is not a case of my style is better than yours. I simply beleive thatb if you are going to make a claim on an open forum, then you should be prepared to back it up with solid unrefutable proof.

Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching