• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the point in doing Karate

NinjaMaster

Well Grunt,

I agree with everything you say and thats my point nobody else seems to get it.

I used to do Karate and now do Thai Boxing but i still love Karate.

This is why i left, guess the frustration lives on.

Im being harsh to get the strongest reactions so i can see how people really feel.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ninjamaster, hi there.

I did not relise this "debate" was going on in here, or I would have stepped in earlier.

You do Thai boxing?

Ok, more or less explains your ideaology.

So what experience do you have of karatedo, do you have any proof and linages?

Thanks.

Well Grunt,

I agree with everything you say and thats my point nobody else seems to get it.

I used to do Karate and now do Thai Boxing but i still love Karate.

This is why i left, guess the frustration lives on.

Im being harsh to get the strongest reactions so i can see how people really feel.

NinjaMaster, you say that "nobody else seems to get it." Don't let me put words in your mouth but what you probably mean to say is that "nobody else seems to get what you get." I think you and I study MA for the same reasons. But it's OK if others don't. Seriously. If someone wants to learn how to stand like a crane, that in no way should impact my study. If someone wants to look cool doing a kata, great. Again, that in no way should impact my reasons for doing kata. I guess what I'm saying is, be you for your reasons. Study MA for your reasons. Sure, perhaps the original nature of Karate is only appreciated by some of it's practitioners, but that's OK in my book. I'm cutting my path and they are cutting theirs. I'm at peace with them and their reasons.

Grunt

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Burk

"A true warrior embodies more than the ability to wage war." - Anonymous

Okay I'm pretty confused here. Didn't they make karate as a form of unarmed self defense? Not as a way to go invade some other country and take it over? I think that there would be a major difference there.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I too agree with Grunt ... however I kind of get the impression that the reason NinjaMaster started this discussion is because he switched over to Thai Boxing, and is on his holier-than-thou kick.

I thoguht about this for a couple minutes and I relized I'm doing karate for purley self defense. I mean yeah I'm also using it as a way to get fit, but aren't unfit people the target of much if not all of the torment? Not only that I agree with grunt about the people in this world that are evil, and unfortunatley I've already had to deal with them, and I didn't do a good job of it. Thats really the only reason I'm doing karate for self defense, and I think that fits because that is why they developed it hundreds of years ago.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

KENSAI has "Stepped in" every body make way..

Kensai forget about about your 4th and 10th Kyu. You should not throw your rank around. You have no idea who i am.

I have already said what i think.

Go to Japan and train and when you get there tell them your not interested in self defence, you only want to get fit, their culture is only a passing interest and you might not turn up if your mates want to go out or there is a good film on. See what they say.

OK I have only just registered here, which probably means everyone is going to think I started karate yesterday or something.

Got to say though I agree with NinjaMaster in many respects. Martial Arts comes from roots much deeper than simply self defence in a time that weapons were banned, much much deeper. The philosophy and spiritual side of it was never an optional excercise it was deep routed in the art.

To those who are saying they shouldnt be true to their style......so why do it?? Either be loyal to it or join another style, but make a choice. I can only presume from the comments made here a lot of people are very low grades. Can I suggest something, keep a record of what has been written here, because in a few years time you may end up laughing at what you wrote.