• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can u teach yourself

You can't properly teach yourself unless you have much experience. Someone like myself who has been in the Martial Arts for 17 years would be able to pick up a book or video and "somewhat" teach him or herself because we understand the mechanics and theories in techniques. However, we would be MUCH better off learning from an instructor. If you don't have any experience in the Martial Arts then don't waste your time with books and videos. They can be a useful tool along with qualified instruction but take them for what they are. A tool.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would only work if you bought and wore the hakama... Otherwise, people wouldn't believe you when they said you studied Kendo ;)

It's not the cloth that matters !!!

My friend is also in Karate and she doesn't wear a karategi, because she can't afford one (still. She is saving up). So when it's grading time and tourney time she just borrows one from another coleague. That didn't hinder her in practising karate for almost 3 years. :)

Hmm 20 dollars? I wish.

well here the cheapest karategi is around 50 dollars. And the minimum wage is 80 $. So ...

Well she is not from Timisoara. Her parents are doing a great effort in order to have her in University in another city and it's quite expensive. She has to pay for training and food and so on and she can't afford to give 50$ on a gi or 100 for a good one. I think it's impresive her and other students in the same situation keep on training and do the best they can.

In the end that's what matters :karate:

I think it would only work if you bought and wore the hakama... Otherwise, people wouldn't believe you when they said you studied Kendo ;)

It's not the cloth that matters !!!

My friend is also in Karate and she doesn't wear a karategi, because she can't afford one (still. She is saving up). So when it's grading time and tourney time she just borrows one from another coleague. That didn't hinder her in practising karate for almost 3 years. :)

Ramy my friend, I'm afraid I was making a joke that you could conceal your lack of true technique by wearing the fancy clothes. I apologize if I have offended. :)

I applaud your friend who trains without a karategi. In the US, buying a gi is inexpensive compared to the price of the studio many times. You can buy a gi for $20US although it may not be of the highest quality.

It sounds as though your friend is learning the true essence of martial arts. It lies not in your belt, gi, or any other material possesions. All you need is room to train and the heart to do so.

Oh yea.. YOU NEED A TEACHER TOO, FOLKS! :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

you can always buy a book to help improve your technique but it should be done at the same time as getting lessons because it would be very difficult without someone to ask for help

I have a bunch of brand new black karate gis at my house. I wonder how much it would cost to have one shipped to Romania? HMmmmm If it isn't too much to ship I would be glad to ship one to her. It prob. costs an arm and a leg though.

Anyone know how much it would cost to ship to Romania???

If it is under $25 I would gladly send her one.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!