• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can u teach yourself

Would it be possible for me to pick up some very well put together guides and books on Kendo and my friend and I practice with each other? I can not see why you could not, although an instructor would be better probably as it would increase your learning curve.

Even though I would be self teaching myself In Kendo, I would still make the 50 mile trip once every week or two weeks to a Instructor in the town next to mine to have him critic my forms, etc etc.

Nick D.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You need an instrucor. Say you though a certian move went one way, but infact it went the other way, you would've have any expirenced person there to correct you.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I don't think you can teach yourself if you know nothing. If you have trained for some time its possivle to learn from books and other sources. However the big thing is you can't see yourself and correct yourself. Nothing impossible but you need a teacher if you can find one.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

i agree with karatekid, if you have some knowledge of martial arts i think you may be able to get some knowledge outa it.

you can learn some techniques and stuff. just have fun and go for it!

I agree with the others. There's a limit you can learn from books but an instructor can teach you more and correct you

Black belt- Shotokan

Everybodies going Kung-fu fighting. LMAO

Since the benefits of teachers are being pointed out by others, I would like to encourage you to train whether or not you have an instructor.

I have absolutely no doubt that somebody can train themselves to vastly improve their self-defense. Of course it would be far easier and probably more effective to have an instructor. However, if you have a punching bag you can develop powerful hits and endurance. If you read MA books you can find excellent exercises and learn information about common bad habits to avoid. (Of course an instructor has the added benefit of pointing out bad habits YOU have. Those, after all, are some of the hardest to spot!) If you run and learn situational awareness you can have the speed and timing necessary escape nasty situations in which confident fighters would die.