• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching techniques

WhiteBelt

I want to learn more about the different punching techniques in karate. So far I've been taught the straight punch, and the reverse punch. Both are pretty much the same, it just depends on which arm throws the punch... What other techniques are there, and how are they done properly? All I can find are names, and small descriptions that don't really help. :roll:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
That is the difference between learning from an instructor and learning from a book. There can be a fairly significant difference in oi tsuki and gyaka tsuki though depending on how much hip rotation is channeled into the gyaka tsuki.

I understand that. The reverse punch has a lot of power from the hips. But what I am interested in is other techniques. I have only really been taught a few, and am curious about the others. Are all of the other techniques useless? (BTW, I don't care about tournaments...)

Inverted punch(fist remains upside down - usually a close range strike to the body, or upward blow to the nose as seen in Pinan Yodan)

slip punch - a short punch that travels to the side accross your body (usually a short strike to the body from a sideways stance/situation as in the Neifanchi katas)

Most hand strikes in karate are just variations of the front punch and the reverse punch.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate