• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sai vs. Bo

BKJ1216

Well I was reading this book I got from the library "The Original Martail Arts Encyclopedia" well in it there was a martial art called kobu-jutsu (I think it may be kobu-do). I was reading all the things abou the weapons in there and two really stuck in my mind. The sai and the bo. I like the bo because it's long, and even if the oppenet manages to block it will hurt them still. I like the sai beacuse It says there that you can still to most of the blocks. Can everyone post some pros and kons of both the sai and the bo?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pro for Bo: Light, cheap, can find easy subsitute

Con: Can be too long in certain environments

Pro for Sai: Solid, stabbing/blunt force type weapon, great for hooking

Con: Gets to be too heavy, can't find good subsitiute so therefore not too practical, a real nice pair can cost $$$

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

With a bo it's always a good idea to train with something heavier than you would use in the dojo. I use a 30 pound light bench press bar when i train at home. Using a heavy bo in training makes you stronger and geerally faster. Plus, after a while you may become good with a heavy bo, which means you can bash stuff harder :wink: Well, thats what i do, it might work for you. :karate:

meh, bo rules, too long? break it in half and you got double escrima
http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/characters/jae-repeated-kicks.gif

Against each other it is a range game. At a distance the bo dominates, in close it looses.

Generally the sai can can tie up the bo and enter without taking to much damage and its all over for the bo.

With good footwork the bo user can keep distance and strike the sai user as they try to enter while backing up.

It also depends on the type of bo you are using, a rattan bo handles and is used very differently then a oak bo. Neither is superior, both are good, it just depends on how you use them.

A rattan bo is a lot lighter and bends, it moves a lot faster and is easier to land with.

A oak bo is slower, but can cut through many attempts to block.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Bo skills are the building block for other weapons.

For most people (raw beginners) it would be suicidal to take up three-section-staff or chain whip without learning first how to manipulate the bo. Learning to do something as easy with figure eights with the staff, how your hips turn, your body alignment, focus, and weapon accuracy will go a long way when you go on to learn nunchaku or sword work.

I think the sai are great weapons because they are immediately adaptable to karate technique, but also have a level of complexity to them that grows with the students knowledge. Changing the grips, deflecting attacks, changing them into locks, stripping weapons, etc.

Just make sure those tines are vertical when holding the sai in reverse grip and punching. Your sides will thank you.

As far as heavy weapons, as I understand it you should always practice the techniques much slower when using them or you risk major tendon and ligament damage. Is that more or less true?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

If you read up on your sai history, you would find out that some would carry a third sai by the belt. This sai would be used as either a back up sai or a throwing knive. If you also notice the Bo looks strangly like the spear, so I'm guessin if you think about it the Bo can be thrown also.

If you read up a little bit about blocking then you can find out that if a bo is thrown at you its not that hard to knock it out of the way. a sai on the other hand would move much faster and it would spin so with a bo it would be less easy to block it. So I say on a distance the sai would probly win depends on whos the fighter! Close up, With Bo you cant do much maybe hit 'em up side the head. with a sai theres wrist grabing knocking eye gouging weapon taking you name it pressure points you could stab even tho the origanal sais were not used for stabing, I'd have to say sai is the better of the to. Its sad really, the BO is my favorite weapon.