• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"rope-a-dope" you think that wold work in karate?

BKJ1216

Well I know I used to watch a lot of boxing. A lot was tapes of Ali. I remember he use to always do thei rope a dope thing. He just blocked everything he hit throught whole fight tiring him out. Then finally finished him off. You think that would work in karate?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I don't think you'd want to give your attacker that many opportunities to hurt you. Every chance he has is a chance he'll get lucky or you'll mess up. But if it's a tournament or something I guess it's doable.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Actually I wouldn't personally do it that way in a tournament either... but since the other guy isn't trying to stab him or break his bones or gouge his eyes out in the tournament it might be worth giving it a whirl there *shrug*. Usually I'm told it's the person who's always on the defensive in combat who ends up getting hurt.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

One of the things Ali did using the rope a dope was to cover his face with his gloves and his forearms would offer some protection to his mid section in his tucked in position.

That may have worked for him evading only attacks from his opponents hands. Now add kicks into the equation, especially roundhouse kicks. How effective would the same blocking technique be in protecting the ribs, face and mid section from hand and foot attacks?

• 2 weeks later...

i would never do something like that in a tournament

blocking requires your eyes to register a movement, your brain to process, and your body to react. Attacking requires you to attack a strength/weakness or opening while keeping your body guarded. Which is harder to do? (even though I tend to fight more defensively when i spar)