• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there really a difference between yellow and gold belts?

Iron Fist 05

I'm in American Society of Karate and I was wondering is there REALLY a difference betseen yellow and gold belts? The ranking of belts are:

white

yellow

orange

green

blue

purple

brown

3 degrees of brown

black

there is no 'gold' in there anywhere, so is there a difference in yellow and gold other than the color?

"By the time I was fifteen, I became a white belt."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As far as color there is a differance. The Yellow belts are usually more well for lack of a better word yellow. The Gold Belts are brighter and or darker. They do sell the 2 differant colors.

Now with that said we call our first belt a gold belt but I have used yellow belts before because the local store was out. No big deal.

As far as color and rankings it will change from school to school and style to style. A rule of thumb is usually the darker the belt the higher up it is but this is not always true.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Indeed the only person who can tell you what the difference is between a gold and a yellow belt is the one who gave it to you.

And apparently black is not the same for everyone! Many karate organizations award red or some patterned combination of red and white for high ranking members. Solid red is the highest in my organisation (uskk). I think this is because their egos wouldn't allow them to be ranked in with mere yudansha. Tournaments are littered with them.